Food Allergy
Options

Peanut allergy test

What should I expect with the peanut allergy test, in particular?

I assume they do a scratch test - what happens if they are extremely allergic?  Does the skin bubble up right away and they swab it?  Does the scratch test indicate how allergic they are to some degree?

Just curious so I know what to expect.

Re: Peanut allergy test

• Options

I assume they do a scratch test - what happens if they are extremely allergic?  it's possible that they will spray you down with benadryl if your skin gets too irritated (that happened to my son right after he was pricked) and then they will send you to get blood work so they can find out your levels.

Does the skin bubble up right away and they swab it? no, depends on the severity of the allergy.  My son was tested for milk, soy, egg, peanut and the egg and peanut blistered within minutes.  the milk and soy seemed fine even though he was allergic.

Does the scratch test indicate how allergic they are to some degree? i personally think so.  my son's severe reaction was to the peanut and egg, even though he was tested for other things, and they had to remove it right away.  He was recently tested for wheat and it was a tiny little bump after 20 minutes, but nothing crazy.

Just curious so I know what to expect. is this for you or your child? if it's for your child, bring toys and/or some portable video, paper and crayons. and even a new toy if possible.  just to make him most comfortable. 

Depending on the age -they will do it on the back if it's a baby.. adult will be on the arm.  so make sure if it's your child, they don't rub it on you

GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    When I took DD1 for her first allergist appt, she was around 2yo and we suspected a peanut allergy. At the time, they only did a blood test.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"