Natural Birth

GBS Testing and Treatment PLEASE READ

I lurk here sometimes and I see that some people post about GBS and refusing antibiotics.

Please Please Please take GBS seriously!!!  I was tested at 36 weeks, results were NEGATIVE. I had no fever during labor, my water was not broken for 24 hours, there was NO indiciation whatsoever and my baby was born GBS Positive - amongst other things (see siggy). He was in the NICU for 17 days and he almost didnt make it. I am not trying to scare anyone, I know my situation is probably 1 in a million but I think there is a misunderstanding that there are certain syptoms (fever, etc) for GBS and it is not always the case (as in my case).

PS - I give you guys so much credit for wanting a natural labor!!! Good Luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: GBS Testing and Treatment PLEASE READ

• Wow, it looks like your LO had quite a rough go of it- I'm glad he's healthy now!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I guess it's a situation everyone has to weigh for themselves.  Luckily your little dude was ok in the end.  The APA says that only about 1 in 200 moms who are GBS+ pass it to their baby and many of those babies never get ill (though if they do conditions like your sons - meningitis, sepsis, pneumonia, etc develop) but some babies can have allergic reactions to the antibiotics.  And antibiotics during labor doesn't completely prevent the spread of GBS to baby if you are +. And I think how these are drugs being given for a disease they could contract that could make them sick; I can see how many parents feel it's a little over the top.  Some women whose water has not broken and are delivering by c-section are given the antibiotics too, though GBS is contracted in the birth canal. 

I just don't like the overall attitude if you don't give your baby every single shot or vaccine or antibiotic the dr says to then you're negligent or something.  I think it's wise to think through everything your dr recommends and do what you feel is best.  It's not a good idea to think because you're not GBS+ or because you got the antibiotics if you were that your baby will be fine.  The antibiotics can give some a sense of false security. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • So glad your son is ok!! My doula said that GBS can come and go. She recommends some basic immune boosting stuff to keep your flora healthy, but made sure to point out that even if you test negative, you should keep up the immune boosting stuff because it can come back.

Personally, I just don't think it's worth the risk to your child to refuse antibiotics. I'm of the mind that medical intervention can be a wonderful thing, especially if it prevents something like GBS. In my case, without medical intervention, I would have never made it past the 1st trimester, so I'm a big fan of doctors and preventative treatment :)

Thank you so much for posting your story! So glad it had a happy ending! 

BFP #1 05/11/10 Natural m/c 05/17/10 BFP #2 12/07/10 Natural m/c 12/12/10 BFP #3 01/21/11 Taking Prometrium, Baby Aspirin, and two injections of heparin a day Lightning Bug was born a healthy and happy 7lbs 14oz on 9/20/211
  • ITA.  I didn't want any IV at all during my first labor, but being GBS + was something we decided not to mess around with.  And reading your siggy makes me so happy to see your son smiling in that picture!  Glad he came through it all!  He must be a fighter. 
  • imagecottonlily84:

I guess it's a situation everyone has to weigh for themselves.  Luckily your little dude was ok in the end.  The APA says that only about 1 in 200 moms who are GBS+ pass it to their baby and many of those babies never get ill (though if they do conditions like your sons - meningitis, sepsis, pneumonia, etc develop) but some babies can have allergic reactions to the antibiotics.  And antibiotics during labor doesn't completely prevent the spread of GBS to baby if you are +. And I think how these are drugs being given for a disease they could contract that could make them sick; I can see how many parents feel it's a little over the top.  Some women whose water has not broken and are delivering by c-section are given the antibiotics too, though GBS is contracted in the birth canal. 

I just don't like the overall attitude if you don't give your baby every single shot or vaccine or antibiotic the dr says to then you're negligent or something.  I think it's wise to think through everything your dr recommends and do what you feel is best.  It's not a good idea to think because you're not GBS+ or because you got the antibiotics if you were that your baby will be fine.  The antibiotics can give some a sense of false security. 

I agree with this. OP, I'm sorry about what happened to you and I'm so glad everything is okay, but even your story shows how fallible even the tests can be because you tested negative. Thanks for your concern for others and I hope your situation leads people to do more research and decide what's best for them. :)

• Yes

We too had a scary experience with GBS, even after receiving the first dose of antibiotics. NOTHING is worse than sitting in the hospital for an extended hospital stay, wishing that your baby was healthy enough to take home. I had a wonderful hospital birth, but it makes me sad to see so many posts about avoiding the antibiotics knowing just how devastating it can be. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"