North Carolina Babies

WWYD - Hand Foot Mouth

Daycare just called and they think Alex has HFM.  He had a HIGH fever on Sunday, and urgent care diagnosed him with an ear infection.  We stayed home yesterday, at which point I noticed spots all over him.  Called the pedi who thought it was just a reaction to the high fever.

Daycare just called - they said that he can stay, and will call me again if he seems to be in pain and needs tylenol.  (I have some meetings today, but will cut out early.)

My dilemma is around my parents coming this weekend (Friday) and staying with us.  My dad is in remission, so he has a compromised immune system.  I have a call into the pedi to get her take, but how contageous is this?  Should I get my parents a hotel room instead?

Also, what can I expect from HFM for Alex?  Are we all going to get it?  I hate the name - it just sounds gross.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: WWYD - Hand Foot Mouth

• Definitely talk to your pedi.  I think that as long as you had it as a child, you won't get it as an adult (like chickenpox).  As for Alex, keep an eye for the sores in his mouth.  This was the worst part for Liam.  He was MISERABLE.  He couldn't eat or sleep from the pain.  The pedi told me not to feel bad about keeping him doped on ibuprofin, b/c those sores are really, really painful.  He lived on applesauce, smoothies, etc. for a week or so until the pain was better.  GL!
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It is pretty contagious, but like PP said talk to your pedi. And I think if you had it before you are safe. I'm kind of surprised daycare let him say!

I used to watch a kid and she had it-- and even though Keira was too little to play with her and I sanitize like a crazy person, she got it. It was HORRIBLE. She had a high fever for 6 days and just cried. GL!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • It is very contagious between kids, but i read that most adults will not get it because it is one of those things like a pp mentioned where if you have had it you shouldn't get it again.  However, my DH ended up getting it.  So, it is very possible that an adult can get it.  I would definitely talk to the pedi and I would probably have your dad talk to his own dr. 
    My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Could it also be Roseola or is daycare sure it's HFM?  Roseola presents as high fever and then it's a rash for 3-4 days during which the child is just irritable, cranky, loss of appetite, etc.  But def talk to your pediatrician to confirm the diagnonsis and figure out how to handle the weekend visit. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagecate1119:
    Could it also be Roseola or is daycare sure it's HFM?  Roseola presents as high fever and then it's a rash for 3-4 days during which the child is just irritable, cranky, loss of appetite, etc.  But def talk to your pediatrician to confirm the diagnonsis and figure out how to handle the weekend visit. 

This.  I would take him in to see what the pedi's diagnosis is.  Daycare isn't qualified to diagnosis what he may/may not have.  DD#1 had roseola and it was a fluctuating high fever for 4-5 days, then 1-2 days of a rash (red bumps) all over her body.  The rash didn't bother her (fever breaks before the rash starts) but during the fever she was pretty miserable.

Good luck!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That stinks!  I'd call the ped and take him in again to be totally sure on the diagnosis.  Good luck and I hope he feels better soon!!
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • JuberPJuberP member

Thanks, Ladies!  This does not sound like a fun sickness - either one.  I just called daycare and Alex has more sores on his gums and tongue.  :(  DH is going to spring Alex from DC and take him to the pedi this afternoon.  If HFM is as contagious as I've read, I don't know why daycare would let him stay...? 

We booked a hotel room for my parents in the meantime and will have my dad ask his doc's opinion as well.  I plan to sanitize the heck out of our house (not sure if it will matter since HFM is contagious for so long...), but the guest room is germ free, so my SIL is struggling to see the point of a hotel.  I'm hoping we can limit time at our place.  (Grandparents are coming in town to celebrate my bro's birthday, but my brother doesn't have room at his house for them to stay.  The hotel part sucks because it is 20+ minutes away and bro and I live 2 minutes from each other.)

• JuberPJuberP member
    It was confirmed by the pedi - Alex has HFM.  When he called, I asked DH 'How is Alex?'  To which he responded, "Speckled."  Ha!
  • Poor baby.  According to some it is no big deal, but that is honestly the absolute worst thing that Ben has come down with.  He would not stop crying, wouldn't take any medicine, no drinking or eating, barely nursing and when he finally caved and decided to nurse you could tell it hurt him so bad.  Ugh.  I hope you get to be one of the people that says it is nothing.
    My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JuberPJuberP member
    Thanks, Angelpack!  I hope so, too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"