Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Weed killer?

Just wondering if anyone has some suggestions for a good, inexpensive, and Eco-friendly weed killer? We moved into a new house and basically have to kill off the entire back yard and replant it....and I really don't want use Round-Up if there are better options out there.

**Landon Keith 6/03/10 6lbs. 9oz. 19 inches**

"When the waves are flooding the shore, and I can't find my way home anymore, that's when I......I look at you" Miley Cyrus

Landon 121Landon 6-9 081

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Re: Weed killer?

• Options
    We use white vinegar.
    photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

lol...we use elbow grease and a weed puller.

But you could do a top cover to kill everything (think layers of wet newspaper, cardboard and straw)...then top dress with compost and reseed the lawn. That would be a better way to restart anyways since you'll have a good nutrient base for the grass/roots. A nice healthy lawn is the best way to crowd out weeds.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Lay out some tarps for a few days and burn the grass?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am a little confused- do you have grass+tons of weeds, or is it mostly dirt+weeds?

I think I would probably not try to sanitize the ground with any kind of weed killer, but rather, I would pull up the sod (if there is any) or take the time to pull the weeds.  If you do it the way you have suggested, I would worry about the health of the soil for new grass growth. 

That said, I use a vinegar, salt, and dish soap mix in a spray bottle.  

• Options

"I use a vinegar, salt, and dish soap mix in a spray bottle."

Maybe have to give this a try...I think DH is dying to spray some spot weeds, and I've banned him from chemicals. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"