Military Families

Finding out if someone is Active in Military?

I'm not quite sure where else to go to ask my question and you all might or might not be able to help so here it goes:

How can I find out if my DD's father is still active in the Army Reserves? We go back to Child Support court in a few weeks and he has never reported the income to the court (not that they subpoenaed records, they only asked him for income amounts that were not verfieid by anything other than his word). If he is active, I would liek to put my foot down and demand he be honest in the court and I would like to have proof to back it up.

So, how would I find out if he is still active? I have his full name, social security number, and know where he was doing weekend drill. Can I just call them and ask? I'm not sure what procedures are in place for getting this information.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

Photobucket BabyName Ticker

Re: Finding out if someone is Active in Military?

• FIrst of all I am sorry he is not stepping up to help with his child I can only imagine how stressful it can be.

Second, I am not sure if the Army can release that information to you.  I do not understand why the court would not run some kind of inquiry against his SSN to verify employment.  I would def bring it up in court that he is believed to be active with the Army Reserves and see where that brings you.  Does he have any other job besides the reserves?  I am not familiar with the pay of the reserves as my H is Active Duty but every bit of income should count.

Can you call the location where he drills and askf or him by name?  Maybe you will get someone who can tell you if he has or has not been there.  That could be a start for you.

Good luck with your search nonetheless. 

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • You might try a private investigator.  As the S1 ((Army lingo for HR or personnel office)), all I would do is simply confirm yes or no.  Any other information must be requested through proper legal channels.  Just because we are considered public servants does not negate our rights to privacy (Privacy Act of 1974).  I am sorry you are dealing with errant child support, but perhaps you should rely on the pay stub or LES rather than his word.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JKM416JKM416 member
    Sorry you have to deal with this. If you know what base or group or whatever he'd be attached to, it can't hurt to contact them.  Maybe start with a personnel office?  Also, if it's a big enough installation, it might have its own legal office - they might not be able to disclose (or access) whether he's Reserves, but they could probably tell you your rights and point you in the proper direction.  I'm sure it's not the first they've heard of this type of situation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your best bet would be to contact the place where he drills. They would be able to point you in the right direction. And making sure he can prove his income with paperwork . Having his social will help you alot.
    Yo Soy
  • Just an FYI and for your safety I guess my DH has a DS from a previous marriage etc and we went through all this etc but we are actually reverse right now having issues with her but nonetheless....his ex has tried many times contacting the base etc to get information using his Social etc and has gotten no where since she is not the servicemember.  I dont know if it is different for active duty vs reserves but I know I cannot even get certain information especially about pay etc and im the spouse so good luck :) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekdodge423:

imagenorvelln:
    You might try a private investigator.  As the S1 ((Army lingo for HR or personnel office)), all I would do is simply confirm yes or no.  Any other information must be requested through proper legal channels.  Just because we are considered public servants does not negate our rights to privacy (Privacy Act of 1974).  I am sorry you are dealing with errant child support, but perhaps you should rely on the pay stub or LES rather than his word.

You really shouldn't even do that much without it being in writing for a legit reason. You are giving out personal info, especially if the answer is yes.

Ditto this. Especially in the Guard/Reserves, not everyone is on active orders and my S1 would not give out that information.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Good thing I checked with my local JAG when I first encountered such a request.  I was given instruction on how to provide info and what info I could provide.   
    I will, after the appropriate requirements have been fulfilled, provide a yes or no answer (only).  I will not, however, provide info to ANY spouse, mother, father, sister brother, child, boyfriend, girlfriend, whether current or former because I don't have to. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"