School-Aged Children

XP: Moms with elementary age kids

Need some help for a project I'm doing at work, and most of the moms I know have really young kids so this doesn't apply yet.For those of you with 6-12 year olds, what are your top concerns for your kid's success in school? Is there anything they're struggling with (socially, academically?) or that you're worried about?And then secondly, where do you go for help, advice or information? What are you hoping to find/hear? Why do you trust those resources? TIA!!! 

Re: XP: Moms with elementary age kids

• imageel_twirpo:
    Need some help for a project I'm doing at work, and most of the moms I know have really young kids so this doesn't apply yet. For those of you with 6-12 year olds, what are your top concerns for your kid's success in school? I have am almost 11 year old.  I worry about his reading skills the most.  I feel that with good reading skills the rest of his "school" success will fall into place. Is there anything they're struggling with (socially, academically?) or that you're worried about? My son struggles some socially.  He has been an only child until last year and he spends a lot of time with adults.  In ways he is more mature than most boys his age which means that he has a hard time meshing with his "friends".  His very best friend is another boy that he has known since preK and he was also an only child until about 2 years ago. Academically the only thing that he struggles with is reading.  He more than has the ability he just lacks the drive.  For example, on his End of Grade tests he made 4's (the highest level) on 2 different math and one science test.  On his reading he made a 2.  In NC if a child makes a 2 they retest. On his retest he got a 4.  He has the abilitiy his teachers and I all agree on that.  He just hates to read! And then secondly, where do you go for help, advice or information? What are you hoping to find/hear? Why do you trust those resources? I have found that the very best resources for advice or info for my son is his school/teachers/counclers.  We have been very lucky to get great teachers that are truely teaching for more than just a paycheck.  We also have an amazing pediatrician that we go to regularly for help with even DS's social problems. I trust these people because they have shown time and time again to be very knowledgeable in their field and also to have my child's best interest at heart. TIA!!! 

I hope this helps!

• Loading the player...
  • imageel_twirpo:
    tothemaxx04, thank you!!!

you are very welcome!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"