Eco-Friendly Family

Should I buy stainless steel cereal bowls and cups?

If I don't want my son using plastic bowls, cups, and plates in our house, should I buy stainless steel sets or just use our glassware?  At what age did you let your child use a glass cup and ceramic bowls and plates?  How long will he likely just use the tray on his booster seat to eat off of and his stainless straw sippy to drink out of?

I'm just wondering what your little ones use in your houses :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Should I buy stainless steel cereal bowls and cups?

• There is a pt where ds liked to feed himself and he would throw the bowl when he finished, so I think having kid friendly bowls is essential.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • You could look into bamboo bowls.

I let DS use our Fiestaware. He does great with it. I could have switched earlier. He still needs a sippy cup but he hasn't used a tray for months. I think he was around 8-9 months when we switched to a booster at the table.

• Loading the player...
  • We've primarily used thick, sturdy glass (e.g., pyrex) bowls (like the custard-cup size) for DS, and he has done really well with them. We bought some wood appetizer-size plates that we use for him, and have a small wooden bowl we use for snacks (but not wet stuff, typically, just to make it last longer based on the type of wood it is). We just recently started using glass cups for DS. We had some pint-size canning jars (so, again, thick, sturdy glass) and let him drink out of that, since our regular glasses are significantly more breakable. I'm going to look for some sturdier, smaller glasses when I have a chance. He understands now that he needs to be careful with the glass ware, but we do watch him closely.

We definitely have a few BPA-free plastic items, primarily cups, but attempt to minimize.

We don't use a high chair tray (though we did when he was first starting to eat - used it maybe two months, and we only used bowls when we had stuff that needed containment like applesauce, otherwise used the tray); we have a stokke tripp trapp that pulls right up to the dinner table, so DS uses dishes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"