VBAC

1st c-section Keloid....VBAC ok?

I found out my that my scar from my 1st is definitely a keloid (i had no idea what one was or what a "normal" c-section scar looked like so up until my first OB appointment, I really had no idea there was anything wrong with it).  Also, I am NOT prone to keloids, I had another surgery years ago and the scar healed perfectly....so this is freaking me out.

Anyhow, my OB is trying to talk me out of VBAC telling me she can "fix" the keloid by cutting it out if I have a RCS and she's concerned if I VBAC my risk for rupture will be higher b/c I got pregnant at the 1 yr mark and she's not sure how bad the scar tissue is from the keloid.

I'm just wondering if anyone had a keloid with a previous c-section and still had a successful VBAC.  I'm freaked out that since I have this keloid it's going to effect my ability to VBAC--I know a lot goes into what qualifies someone for VBAC, but I'm getting so tempted of having this keloid "fixed" that i"m starting to think no to VBAC...I guess I just need some encouragement!  Thanks in advance!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 1st c-section Keloid....VBAC ok?

• I have no advice about keloids being ok with VBAC, but if I were in your position, I would definitely get at least a second opinion, and see what other providers say. Also, is there a risk for more scarring if you have a RCS.? Did your Dr know? hth
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imagenosoup4u:
    I have no advice about keloids being ok with VBAC, but if I were in your position, I would definitely get at least a second opinion, and see what other providers say. Also, is there a risk for more scarring if you have a RCS.? Did your Dr know? hth

Good question---more things to ask the OB at my next visit...........thank you!

• Loading the player...
  • I am a keloid factor patient and had a c-section with my first. My midwife had my scar checked during my 20 week ultrasound. The VBAC decision was based on where the placenta is in relationship to my scar. Because they were not near each other I am still a VBAC candidate.

Get more than one opinion on this prior to making your decision.

M

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13 Anniversary pregnancy calendar Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family
  • imageMyst2211:

I am a keloid factor patient and had a c-section with my first. My midwife had my scar checked during my 20 week ultrasound. The VBAC decision was based on where the placenta is in relationship to my scar. Because they were not near each other I am still a VBAC candidate.

Get more than one opinion on this prior to making your decision.

M

I have my anatomy scan this coming Wed---so far no one said anything about checking the scar and or its relation to the placenta!  I'm DEFINITELY going to bring that up and see how things look from there..thanks for the advice.  It's seriously amazing what some doctors dont tell you!!

• I had my first c section, and I got a keloid scar (which I have gotten before)- and didn't qualify for a VBAC due to the fact that the kids were fifteen months apart (my Dr only will consider VBACs if after 22 months)- so I ended up doing a RCS. My Dr told me he would try to ''shave'' the scar and apply some sort of medicine to keep it smaller, but it didn't work at all. So I wouldn't really let that factor in a huge amount. :-)
  • I did a vbac with my second and I had a bit of a keloid scar from my first. It was never an issue, but I did get the "if you end up having a rcs then I'll clean that up for you!"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"