North Carolina Babies

Mom's of 2

So as we're getting closer to there being two little guys in this house, I'm finding quesitons (random questions) popping into my head. Any insight from your world of two would be great! Smile

1. If you breastfeed...did you find your supply came in any better/sooner/different the second time around? I had some issues the first time around and am up for giving it the old college try this time around, but was curious if others found it different in any way the second time?

2. I know this depends on the age of the first child, but did you get a double stroller of some sort, and if so, did you actually use it enough to warrant getting one?? I feel like I'll probably wear the newborn more for the first little bit and put DS #1 in the stroller if/when we use it. We just don't live somewhere where I use the stroller a whole lot to begin with, so not really sure if it's something I should break down and get.

3. Any other random pointers to pass along that you found out after #2 was born that you wish someone had told you ahead of time??

Thank you!!!

Re: Mom's of 2

• i'll put my 2 cents in on #2!  i'm almost in the 2kiddo boat, but like you, i don't really use the stroller w/ds a whole lot to begin with.  the only time i use it now is at doc appts honestly. 

that said, we do have a double stroller.  but the only reason why we got one was bc i found one for free on CL.  if i hadn't then i wouldn't have gotten one.  at least not yet.  

so i would hold off on getting one until you know if you'll really need one.  but like you, i plan on wearing #2 for the most part so i won't have much need for a double stroller in the beginning anyway.  plus our double stroller doesn't hold an infant seat so i'm not sure at what point we'd be able to use it anyway.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had planned to wear DD#2 a lot but logistically it didn't always work out that well with having to pick up DD#1, etc.  We did get a double stroller.  We mostly used it for going for walks around the neighborhood, going to the mall and any big venue places (zoo, etc.).  Now, I only use it with DD#1's seat converted to the stand version when we go to the zoo, air show, etc. Mostly now, DD#1 walks and DD#2 sits in the Maclaren if she even sits.  We definitely got a lot of use out of it the first year but now it's not really needed.

I BF both girls but my milk came in quickly with DD#1 so I didn't really notice a difference with DD#2.

Good luck!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been a mom of 2 for a whole 6 days now.  LOL.  But I can answer one question.  My milk didn't come in until day 5 or 6 with DD#1 and it came in at DAY 2!!! with DD#2.  SO AWESOME.  Not sure if this had anything to do with it, but it's been 15 months since I last BF and I was an EP and had a great supply (once it got going).

We bit the bullet and got the double stroller.  We tend to take a lot of walks.  I hope we use it a ton.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, milk came in much sooner with number 2.  Number 1 was born on Monday and didn't come in until late Friday.  It was a hellacious few days and caused me to Exclusively Pump and eventually give up after a month or so.  With number 2, milk came in within 2 days.  I had a much easier experience BF number 2 and did so for 9 months. 

We did get a Graco double stroller that fit the Graco infant seat.  I got it off of Craigslist and later sold in on Craigslist so it ended up only costing me about $30 for the year or so I used it!  We didn't use it a ton, but we did take it some places and go for walks with it.  I ended up getting a jogging stroller a couple of months ago to push both of them for walks now since it's much easier to maneuver. 

Hmmmm can't really think of any specific advice.  Overall in my situation I found having number 2 much easier.  I had a planned c-section and BF went extremely well.  I was also just way more laid back.  I let her sleep in her swing for about 3 months and didn't stress over it.  You just have a lot more confidence with number 2. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Tracy - I'm really glad you asked these questions, since we're due right about the same time! I was planning on asking them myself! Thanks for the tips, ladies!
  • imageraceyrae:

I had planned to wear DD#2 a lot but logistically it didn't always work out that well with having to pick up DD#1, etc.  We did get a double stroller.  We mostly used it for going for walks around the neighborhood, going to the mall and any big venue places (zoo, etc.). 

This. I have worn DD#2 when DH is with me for walking on the beach and going to the aquarium, etc. But I did get a double stroller--2 actually--and have used them. I got a Citi Mini Double which I LOVE. The only thing that is a pain is that Callie is really little right now and if we go somewhere (not counting walks around our n'hood) I have to take her out of her carseat when she is sleeping and put her in the stroller. I find my other double is great for just popping her in the stroller in her carseat. It's a Graco Quattro Duo  and I got in brand new on CL's for a great deal. I will probably hang onto it for a few more months until she is a bit bigger and it won't matter if I take her out to put her directly in the Citi Mini.

It's sometimes harder to chase an active toddler with an infant .Although Keira was out of the stroller for a while before #2 she's riding almost all the time now because it's easier.  You will find there is a LOT of crap to carry and it takes a while to get them in/out of the car, situated, etc!

I BF DD#1 for 14 months and my milk came in about day 5. It was about the same for me with #2. I started pumping in the hospital due to her losing some weight and I would say it made it come in maybe a day earlier. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • 1. If you breastfeed...did you find your supply came in any better/sooner/different the second time around? YES!! I had major supply issues with my first baby, still had supply issues with my second baby, but my milk definitely came in sooner. He was born on a Saturday and I remember waking up Monday morning and my boobs were hard and leaking (that never happened with my first). My supply issue is related to glands, but I have had a much easier time nursing my second baby, he still nurses twice a day, I think I was a lot less stressed and much more confident, so that has helped.

2. I know this depends on the age of the first child, but did you get a double stroller of some sort, and if so, did you actually use it enough to warrant getting one?? Yes, we bought a double jog stroller. I only use it for walks (we have a lot of trails and parks around our neighborhood). I love it, but I am not able to use it in stores, it is too wide. Honestly, I did not take both of them out a lot together by myself when my DS was really young, if I did, my DH was there and we just used two separate strollers.

3. Any other random pointers to pass along that you found out after #2 was born that you wish someone had told you ahead of time?? It is so much easier, I promise! Even with taking care of another child. I think it is because you are more confident and not second guessing everything you do. I will say it is a lot harder for me to get things done (around the house and errands) because it is a lot more work to load them both in the car, get them out, etc. But overall, the "baby" experience has been so much better the second time around. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"