Pre-School and Daycare

Bicycles

Does your DC have a bike?

What kind did they start with, at what age?

What do they ride now?

What is their comfort level, etc?

DD just got a bike (age 4).  I know it is late for her first bike, but my DH was literally never around the past 1.5 years because he was working full time and pursuing his Master's, so it wasn't like I could be one-on-one with my 4 year old on her bike (she has a younger sister).

Anyway DD totally doesn't like her bike, or the idea of it.  She just whines and complains.. like 'my arms hurt' or 'i don't want to' etc.  Not sure if there is a good way to get her excited about learning to ride, other than trying to find a friend who has a bike.

Also, any idea where to find one of those cute mini license plates?  I know Walmart has them but our Walmart is a mess and I doubt I'll find DD's name.

Re: Bicycles

• My 3 year old has a bike. He's not really interested in it. We got it from the local bicycle shop because the ones at say, Wal-Mart, are too high for him. The same thing for my 7 year old as well, so he got one from the bike shop. 

For what it's worth, my son just now took interest in his bike and taught himself to ride it within a day. We tried teaching him the past 1 year or so and he just couldn't figure it out. It just took one day of him wanting to learn it and he does it awesome now. She'll get to the point where she will wanna try it, I'm sure.  

You can get the mini license plates on Amazon.com I'm sure. Maybe Wal-Mart.com or Target.com as well. 

ETA: I didn't answer clearly. We got our oldest a bike the month before he turned 6. He didn't learn until he was 7.  I can't think of the name of the bikes that they have. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD got her bike this past Christmas, she was almost 3.  The only reason we got her one was that was the ONLY thing she wanted for Christmas.  She likes to wear the helmet and sit on it and that is about it - she is 3 1/2 now.  I am not pushing the issue, she will ride when she is ready.  Our neighbor has a 6 year old that still has trouble riding her bike.  Oh, we bought a 12 inch bike.  MIL wants to buy her a powerwheels, but the rule is she can't have one until she learns to ride her bike.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DD1 is getting her first bike for her 4th birthday in July, so I don't think it's late. We figured she wouldn't take interest in it until next spring anyway, but who knows?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • DD got a bike with training wheels for her 3rd birthday. She took off on it the first time she got on it. She enjoys riding it when she wants to ride it.  If I suggest going out and riding she usually doesn't want to, but she gets excited when she suggests it. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • griffin has one and isn't that into it either... it's a really expensive bike - a hand me down from my BIL who is wealthy, lol.... forget the brand - but i know it was $$$.  Griffin gets excited to ride it but after like 5 minutes he's bored....

i figure when the twins are older and all 3 can play out in the driveway together with just me he'll get more into it... right now DH has to be home to use his bike b/c we can't trust the twins in the driveway at this age (running into street = too easy for them now)... so i think Griffin is bored b/c it's just him and DH and not all the crazy action he's used to with the twins around.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • imageJinsy80:
    DD1 is getting her first bike for her 4th birthday in July, so I don't think it's late. We figured she wouldn't take interest in it until next spring anyway, but who knows?

This.  DD has a tricyle right now.  She rides it every day and just yesterday made it around the whole block.  Usually though, she just rides it to our neighbors' houses and back a few times and is done with it. 

DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"