Natural Birth
Options

XP: Baby Ewan is here, unmedicated birth

I'll have to write my birth story at a later date, this is just a quick update (I can't remember a lot of details but my doula took detailed notes about times, order of events, etc.).

Our baby boy arrived yesterday at 11:04 am. He weighed 8 lbs. 1 oz., 20 inches. Labor lasted about 30 hours and was a total trip. I was able to stick to our original plan for no meds and was incredibly blessed to not even need a saline IV or pitocin after the placenta delivered. It was intense and completely overwhelming at times... I still can't believe I did it.

We are all doing well, thought nursing has been a struggle. Ewan just isn't a motivated eater... he takes 20-30 minutes just to eat 1 ounce of formula. Thought, prayers and nursing dust would be appreciated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Baby Ewan is here, unmedicated birth

• Options
    Congrats! It always makes me feel better to hear natural birth stories in a hospital (its what i plan for.)
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats on following your birth plan. Can I ask why you are feeding formula after just one day if your plan is to breastfeed? Many babies don't feed well in the first sleepy 24 hours. Especially since your milk likely hasn't come in yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageArmyQM:
    Congrats on following your birth plan. Can I ask why you are feeding formula after just one day if your plan is to breastfeed? Many babies don't feed well in the first sleepy 24 hours. Especially since your milk likely hasn't come in yet.

He went close to 12 hours without even sucking a drop of colostrum and was crying non-stop (no sleepy newborn here) for about 3 hours before we decided to give him 1/2 ounce of formula. Still waiting on my milk to come in, but I've been attempting to nurse every 2 or 3 hours and pumping after his super short-to-non-existent feeding sessions to help encourage it to come in soon. Unfortunately, I'm not expressing enough colostrum to actually collect in the pump. We've tried to give as little formula as possible and are hoping that things will improve as we continue to get in to our groove.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"