Special Needs

what is your child w/SPD like after an OT session?

My son had his first OT session on Thursday and I would not have believed it if I had not witnessed the whole thing.  For the first time in his 2 short years, he seemed happy, relaxed and content.  And therefore, I was happy, relaxed and content.  I didn't feel like I was on edge, waiting for the inevitable meltdown.  We had such a great morning after OT. It almost made me want to cry because it really made me realize just how bad our "normal" days have become.   Unfortunately, my son was only relaxed until his nap--he woke up his usual self and the rest of the day was difficult.

I was wondering if this was an unusually good response to therapy because it was the first time or if this might continue.  If so, I'm definitely going to plan on grocery shopping on our way home from therapy and any other activities that are normally a nightmare with DS.

Re: what is your child w/SPD like after an OT session?

• DD doesn't have SPD, but she does receive OT for some sensory issues.  She is def. a calmer kid after sessions.  Actually the few times we had ST scheduled after OT she sat for the whole session.  It does help alot! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's such a great response to the therapy.  Hopefully overtime as you DS is able to regulate their sensory system the carryover from therapy gets longer and eventually the state you saw after their first session becomes their new "normal."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"