Military Families

Tricare standard and mirena?

I am on standard and have been calling OB/GYNs to find out about getting the mirena. A few told me that the patient has to pay for it up front then tricare reimburses you. Now I like having standard and don't mind a copay but I can't afford to front the $750 bill of the mirena even if I will be reimbursed. Is this standard practice or do I need to find a different doctor? Tia!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tricare standard and mirena?

• When I had mine inserted in 2008, I did not have to pay for it upfront.  This was in central Virginia about 200 miles from the closest military installation when my husband was deployed.  I'm not sure if they've changed their policy but that was my experience 3 years ago.  Good luck!
  • Its not the TRICARE policy, but the Provider's choice not to bill TRICARE for you. 

That is one of the downsides of Standard.  Because the doc is not contracted with TRICARE, they can make the billing rules.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • I called tricare and asked about this the other day because I want to get the copper IUD. They said it's covered, all the Dr has to do is write the prescription for it. My DR doesn't keep it in office, they request it through insurance, once its approved they order so I don't pay for it.
    image.
  • Thanks for asking this question. I am thinking about getting it mirena, but I was unsure how any of this worked.
  • Thanks ladies. I'm gonna ask if they will do it like pp mentioned and write a prescription then order it. I can't afford that upfront cost and I wanna get it because H deploys again next year so we really don't want to get pregnant this year and end up being due while he's gone.
  • Mash67Mash67 member

Yes they do cover it I Just had mine removed after 4 years, TTC#2

Good Luck!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have standard.  I paid $25 for my Mirena with no other costs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have standard and see an out of network provider so I paid the 20% deductible for the IUD, the insertion and the followup exam. Came to something like $300 for all three. Then, I will pay my copay for the removal as well.
  • imageArmyQM:
    I have standard and see an out of network provider so I paid the 20% deductible for the IUD, the insertion and the followup exam. Came to something like $300 for all three. Then, I will pay my copay for the removal as well.

This kind of...  I had my Mirena inserted at my 6 week post pardum appt. so I didn't have to pay an extra fee for the insertion (they billed it under OB care since the appointment was really to make sure everything looked okay from the birth) but I did have to pay a deductible for the IUD itself and the follow up exam.  I think it was less than $100.  I was expecting it to be more (I was originally quoted $265) but got lucky.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"