VBAC
Options

How to avoid RCS

I'm new to this board. My husband and I are starting to think about baby number 2 and I would really like to have a VBAC. With our first baby I was induced at 41 1/2 weeks, in labor for 21 hours, pushed for an hour and then had to have an emergency c-section b/c LO was distressed and I couldn't get him out. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on avoiding a c-section next time. I didn't gain an excessive amount of weight but LO was pretty big - 8 1/2 lbs and had a large head. Should I try to gain less weight? Would it be better to get induced early? Or wait longer if possible? #1 did not drop very quickly and I had gotten sick like 6 or 7 times right before I started pushing so I had zero energy left. But I have pretty small hips and I'm kind of worried that I'm just not "built" to have babies easily. I know people have told me that this doesn't happen and that your body doesn't produce babies that you can't push out but I don't really believe that - I mean look at how many women died in labor 100 years ago. Any advice, suggestions, articles, etc. would be appreciated. I just want to be well informed going into pregnancy number 2 so that I can give this the best chance possible.
EBF SAHM (for now) to my precious son Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How to avoid RCS

• Options
    Educate yourself as much as you can about vbacs& contact your local ican chapter for supportive vbac hospitals. There are restrictions for vbac depending on where you go if you are considered a good candidate by your doc. usually with vbacs majority of providers really dont induce because it increases your risks of uterine rupture. So your question about inducing is up to your doc. Most expect you to go into labor on your own by your due date some let you go past depends on who you go with. I tried 2 hospitals to see which one i would vbac at & both did not induce at all. The one i went with allowed me to go into labor on my own up until 41 weeks if not a rcs. Also try & have a healthy pregnancy even though some things we just cant control. I say this because if anything risky arises, that can interfere with you having a vbac. I had a healthy pregnancy up until 39 weeks with my 2nd & dveloped hypertension out of no where & they recommended a rcs. I gained around 15 lbs both pregnancies for some reason no matter how much i ate everything went to baby lol. My son was 8lbs 7oz my daughter 7lbs 2oz as you can see how much weight you gain dosent factor into how big or small the baby will be. Igained a little & still didnt have small babies. Now about the small hips theory my cousin is a size 2 small hips her ds was 8lbs 2oz vaginally.Yes women did die and still can giving birth no matter what their size but back then there were also no medical intervensions like today. IMO pushing for an hr isnt that long some people push for hrs before the baby is born yours just happen to go into distress. I think If he hadnt he would have discended with more time. EDIT: Also see if you can find someone who will induce as last option cuz if you dont go into labor like you didnt the 1st time you will have to get a rcs
  • Options

Welcome! The best thing you can do is find a truly supportive provider, like Rena said, ICAN is a really good resource for finding someone in your area. I went super-late (42 weeks by my calculations, 41 w 2 d by my official due date), and my MW was really patient and nice about it, and only asked if I wanted to be induced, and when I said no, left it alone. She never brought up RCS as an option at any point during my pg.

It's important to find out how many VBACs your provider has done, what their success rate is, how late they'll let you go, etc. And you want to watch out for providers who claim to support VBAC, but only with stipulations (you can't go past 40 weeks, you can only gain x lbs, they think your baby is too big, etc etc)

There's a lot of women on here who were told they had CPD, or that their first babies were too big to push out, and went on to have successful VBACs. Definitely talk to a few providers about the specifics of your DS's birth, though, too. If fetal distress happens in one labor, it's not necessarily going to happen in the next.

My VBAC baby was 10.5 lbs - 2.5 lbs bigger than my first baby, who didn't come out after 4+ hours of pushing. The reason I had my c-section was bc my first was posterior - being in a bad position is a really common reason for c-sections. It sounds like your first labor was really tough, I definitely remember being beyond exhausted with DS1 when it came time to push, but my second labor was much more efficient all around, so I would try not to worry about a long labor again, especially if you go into labor without being induced.

Hope all that helps! Good luck! Here's some good links for general VBAC info:

https://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10212

https://givingbirthwithconfidence.org/2-2/a-womans-guide-to-vbac/

https://www.theunnecesarean.com/links-and-resources/

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"