South Florida Babies

Miami Zoo for 1st birthday?

How is the Miami zoo? We have never been but we used to go with DD#1 when she was 6mo-2yr to the Lowery Park Zoo in Tampa a lot and she always loved it.We aren't going to do the package (because it's for 20 people and designed for kids over 3 years) but are considering just making a day of it, then maybe bringing cupcakes in a lunch box cooler to the park or something. Would this be a fun birthday trip for a 1 year old?

DD#2 will be 1 in August and I'm starting to plan her party but its hard because we just moved. Well really we're not even moved yet, we are staying with my parents until we find a place so we will be freshly moved again a few weeks before her birthday. We dont know anyone in this area (will most likely end up in Boynton) but my parents (who are in Jupiter) so having a party with 4 adults and just my 2 DD's wouldnt seem very festive. Especially compared to DD#1's big first birthday party with over 50 people that we had!

Any other fun day trip experiences that would be a good first birthday suggestions?

My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Miami Zoo for 1st birthday?

• I think anything you do will be special.  Im not sure you want to do the zoo in August though.  It is sooo hot and for some reason the zoo always feels a million times hotter. 

My DD has an August birthday, and for her 1st we did do a big park birthday party.  Thankfully it was overcast that day but it was still super hot. Most stayed under the pavilion where the fans were. :) Now we do ALL things water!

Good luck!

Liz

• imageLizC78:

It is sooo hot and for some reason the zoo always feels a million times hotter. 

This is so true. I don't know why, but it is.

On the + side, the zoo does have a splash n' play area now. So if you did do it there, I would do it in close proximity to that if you can :) 

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • Loading the player...
  • Thats true, it is very hot in August, but we're Floridians so we're used to it! Big Smile I will definitely set up "camp" near the splash pad!
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • another vote for "anything you do will be special" -- I had a big party for my son's 1st birthday, but for his second birthday it was just my parents, my best friend, and hubby's best friend. It was so nice having a special intimate party where my son could enjoy playing with all of his new toys and just be himself. It is one of my favorite memories and was a perfect day. I'm thinking for his 3rd birthday we'll have a bigger party but we'll see!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• Being a Floridian or not doesnt matter...its hot and muggy. Plus the Miami zoo does not have alot of shade and requires LOTSSSSS of walking. I wouldnt recommend it in August. Especially not if you are going to drive over an hour to get there, not worth it.

The Palm Beach zoo would be a better option if  you really have your mind set on a zoo. Its much smaller but there is more shaded areas that your kids would enjoy more.

• imageVandRicky:

Being a Floridian or not doesnt matter...its hot and muggy. Plus the Miami zoo does not have alot of shade and requires LOTSSSSS of walking. I wouldnt recommend it in August. Especially not if you are going to drive over an hour to get there, not worth it.

The Palm Beach zoo would be a better option if  you really have your mind set on a zoo. Its much smaller but there is more shaded areas that your kids would enjoy more.

Thanks for the suggestion! I just found out about the Palm Beach Zoo after I posted this and we changed plans to go there to save on the driving time. 

I do think being Floridian matters when it comes to heat tolerance though, just ask someone from somewhere cold!

• imageJune2007:
    imageVandRicky:

Being a Floridian or not doesnt matter...its hot and muggy. Plus the Miami zoo does not have alot of shade and requires LOTSSSSS of walking. I wouldnt recommend it in August. Especially not if you are going to drive over an hour to get there, not worth it.

Thanks for the suggestion! I just found out about the Palm Beach Zoo after I posted this and we changed plans to go there to save on the driving time. 

I do think being Floridian matters when it comes to heat tolerance though, just ask someone from somewhere cold!

Central Florida heat and Miami heat are two very different types of heat!!   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"