North Carolina Babies

Cast iron cookware

How do you clean cast iron skillets? My sister gave me one along with all the instructions that you can't use soap on it, and you just clean it with hot water on the stove. The skillet she gave me is used, she called it "seasoned." But it looks gross to me. Its been living in my sink for like a week because I have no clue what to do with it... Confused
image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001

Re: Cast iron cookware

• you can scrub it w/some salt and oil to get any yuckies off, as well as any rust spots.  then it will need to be thoroughly  dried.  i dry mine by putting it on a burner and letting it get hot.  just towel drying doesn't actually thoroughly dry it. 

you're not supposed to use soap on them bc it will not only take the 'seasoning' off (this is what helps keep it 'non stick'), but it can make your food taste like soap too lol.

i really only use mine to make cornbread in, so i usually just wipe out any crumbs, give it a rinse, and then dry on the stovetop like i mentioned above.  

it will need to be reseasoned occasionally as well.  i do this by rubbing it down w/some oil and baking it in the oven for 30 min or so. and then i also will just rub it down w/a  little oil after washing/drying.  very very lightly coated when i don't bake it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • JuberPJuberP member

I don't have an answer for you, but I tend to agree - gross.  I have a pizza stone that is 'seasoned' and I love it, but it's all from our family's food.  I don't know that I could use someone elses.  Maybe you'll get past it? Big Smile

ETA:  Disclaimer - I know VERY little about cooking!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJuberP:

I don't have an answer for you, but I tend to agree - gross.  I have a pizza stone that is 'seasoned' and I love it, but it's all from our family's food.  I don't know that I could use someone elses.  Maybe you'll get past it? Big Smile

Its not from a thrift store or anything, my sister was the one who used it..but still.... Ick!

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Being seasoned shouldn't make it look gross.  It should just be nice and black and a little shiny, it wouldn't be shiny straight out of the box.

Honestly though, I have used soap on my cast iron pans.  I only have 2, a grill pan and a tiny skillet that my mom gave me.  I say wash it out with soap, coat it in oil, give it a good bake and start from there.  That is just my opinion :)

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom has always used a tiny bit of soap to clean her cast iron . Shedries it on the stovetop via hot burner, then adds a bit of oil to the still hot pan and wipes it down to keep it seasoned. My dad would get so mad at her for using soap and she was never allowed to do this to "his" cast iron (he was the hot water and salt only type), but she has never had an issue with food sticking and she "knows" it's clean.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • narknark member

I personally would use soap and really hot water on it one good time, and scrape it with a metal spatula and scouring pad, dry it thoroughly, and then season it myself. Because someone else's cooked-on old food would gross me out too. 

I cook in our iron skillet all the time - like several times a week. I love it. I do stir-fries in it, casseroles, roasted chicken, I braise in it...just about everything. I like to sear meat in it, throw in veggies, and then transfer directly to the oven. I usually just scrub it after with hot water, dry it, and coat it with a little oil. But if I don't do it right away and there is stuff stuck on there all gross sometimes I cheat and use a little soap. Whatever you do just don't leave it wet. It will rust quickly. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"