Special Needs
Options

*Brag Day Wednesday*

It is Wednesday, right?  I want to make sure this continues!

We thought it would be nice to have a post once a week post to brag on our little one's achievements in the past week.

Some of us feel that it is hard to brag when our little ones have such challenges. 

Join our challenge and find just one thing (or more) to brag about.

Our kids deserve it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: *Brag Day Wednesday*

• Options

My DS has started licking everyone on his highchair tray before he gets out!  He still won't try it, but he's at least tasting some different things!

And during food play today, he licked applesauce off his alligator! Smile

• Options

Cute Ali!

L got his serial casts off and AFO's on (in camo!), and he's actually wearing them to school and most of the day. Orthotics will be pleased because compliance with teens is so hard. And no one at school gives him a hard time either - he says they come up with stories as to why he has them. I guess his attitude towards them gets a positive response, yay.

His cardiologist gave him two thumbs up on Monday. His heart really suffered after his last hospitalization in December, and was extremely enlarged and not pumping well (I watched that echo with such a sick feeling in my stomach). He is now back in the normal range and we're totally relieved.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We are attending the Amer. Soc. for Deaf Children's conference in Maryland. Tonight at the opening ceremony they had a special group doing fun "learn ASL" activities. We were going through the ABC's and Nate started to wiggle his fingers again! This confirms he was not just doing it on a behavioral level with the ABC toy we have.

Monday, I was playing with Nate on the floor and asked him (spoken & signed) where his purple ball was. (He has four different sized ones-green, blue, purple and blue/yellow) He gestured towards the wing chair in the corner and the purple ball was stuck behind it! I am not sure I will give him credit for the "purple" part, but I am gonna give him credit for knowing where the ball was....Woot!

I like this brag thing! I think I am gonna cut paste them into my blog so I have a record!

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options
    lboerslboers member
    My daughter has only fought one solids meal in the past week! AND it wasn't me she was fighting... it was my husband! Sucks for him but he never gets to see the fights.
  • Options

It's been almost 2 weeks (13 days) since Morgan has had an 'episode' of sickness. Knock on wood, but she was getting to where she was sick every 4 days or so, so 13 days is a major improvement.  

Peyton is really interested in this site on the computer the ST gave us www.starfall.com (sorry no linky) and she puts and oohs & ahhs at everything! 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options
    Jake has started pointing this week, he is pointing to show us what he wants. He has only done it a handful of times, but this is the first he has ever pointed!
  • Options
    We had our PT, vendor, and somebody who created a piece of adaptive equipment come to our home tonight to show us a newer piece of equipment, which I'd previously been super excited about. It was a much more cumbersome alternative to what we've been demo-ing with a lot more metal and a ton of straps. I didn't like it at all. The exciting part, though, is that DD (who has very limited vision and no hearing aside from her recent CI activation) screamed and screamed until I picked her up out of it and once in my arms turned back and clearly gave it the side eye several times! She visually found it and made a mean face at it! I interrupted everybody talking about the equipment to show them what she was doing. Needless to say, I'm not sure they were as proud as I was. . . . My sweet girl made a mean face today! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

mummygruetzie that is hysterical!

Mine is Ben has started to take some of his meds orally. Today he even went to the cabinet and took out prevacid for me to open.

next we work on liquid meds..... 

Katherine Proud Mommy and Foster Mommy
  • Options

imagehoundbaby:
    Jake has started pointing this week, he is pointing to show us what he wants. He has only done it a handful of times, but this is the first he has ever pointed!

Isn't that a wonderful feeling?  It makes life a little easier!

• Options

My little guy is actually getting the idea of rolling over consecutively to get somewhere.

Also, he went from refusing ALL solids, to actually eating puree's and tasting/sucking on table food.  Recently I've gotten him to take tortilla chips, bread, banana, cheerios, and rice!!! woohoo!

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options

Zachary asked me to sit down and play trains with him this week.  He used to freak when anyone touched his trains -- so this was big.  And now when he wants to play with this one particular train -- an pull-back racer -- he comes to find me to play with him.

Adam signed "Daddy" this morning.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My mom just called to tell me my daughter took 23 steps with PT today!  The most she has ever done is 8.  And she said what sounded like ball yesterday.  She has no words, not even mama,so that was exciting.
  • Options

I have two. :)

1) DD1 had a short conversation! With a stranger! 

I was OOT with DD2, but DH was so proud that he called me to tell me this. They were checking out at the grocery store and although DD1 often says "hi" to the checker, she usually has no idea what to do beyond that. But this time it went: 

DD1: Hi!

Checker: Hi, how are you?

DD1: I'm good, how are you?

Checker: I'm good. How old are you?

DD1: I'm three.

Checker then said told DH that she "spoke very well for her age." :):)  

2) She's starting to "get" pretend play. This morning at her therapy play group, they were going through a firefighter thing and the OT pretended to get sprayed and said, "I'm wet!" She told me that DD1 gave her a look like, "WTH, you are crazy and NOT wet." But when they repeated it, she seemed to understand and told the OT, "you're wet!" and handed her a towel. :) 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options

This is a day late, but oh well! 

Evan has his first follow up appointment with the NICU, yesterday, and it went really good!  They said he is right on track.  At first they said since he is doing so well we wouldn't need to come back, but then they changed their mind.  Since his left side of the brain was affected they want to see how his speech is in 10 months. 

He started babbling the end of last week, he started clapping, giving high fives, and going from sitting-kneeling-standing! 

• Options

Thank you so much for starting this for me!

We spent last night in the hospital thinking K broke her leg. Turns out she didn't thankfully.

Our brags: No big brags that I can think of. It has been a crazy week though! 

Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"