Upstate NY Babies
Options

Last day of school and I'm miserable

Layoffs have hit hard with the district. I made it by the skin of my teeth, and I mean just made it. So many good teachers, social workers, psychologists and therapists are gone (over 400) and some are really good friends of mine. No more art, no more music, no more gym, no more fieldtrips. I'm wondering what kind of education these kids will get now, and several of the kids already have a bad homelife. Thanks for letting me vent. Off to help pack up offices. Such a sad, sad day. If you have time, please say a quick prayer for these people. The art teacher has been here 15 years, and what will she do now?

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

Re: Last day of school and I'm miserable

• Options

I know, it's so sad. My SIL is a teacher, and she lost her classroom, but thankfully still has a job at a different school and grade level. But she said so many people are out of work... and no one is hiring, since pretty much the whole state had budget cuts. She said they passed things like $ for sports, but cut music, art and reading programs in her district. It's so terrible. What kind of education are kids going to get?

Then I think about all the college kids who are going to school for teaching. They are going to have to move out of state to find jobs... which isn't helping the econmoy here in NYS. My BFF and her H moved to NC last year because he couldn't find a job anywhere in NY. (he's a high-school math teacher)

• Options
    wendyjwendyj member
    I'm so sorry. Thankfully, I'm OK in my district, but I have no clue what the future will hold. We are losing so many support staff because of budget cuts. They're already talking about how horrible next year will be because of the affect of the property tax cap. I hope things work out for all of the people in your district who were laid off.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm sorry.  It really bites. I hope it works out for them.  Next year is most likely the last year for my son's school, unless they get a lots of grants and a miracle.  And it makes me super sad, the staff is around 100.  The therapists will be able to find work doing home visits instead of being in a school since kids will need services.  And the teachers and aides will also probably find work in private preschools since their resume will look great and there will be more demand for private preschools.  But I am sure they will make considerably less money.  The families that care and have the means will be able to send their kids to private preschools, but the families who don't have the means will not.  So many more kids will not be ready for Kindergarden and need school age services.  We are on track to have Ty in a normal Kindergarden with a 504plan, maybe 1 speach and 1 OT a week.  Without his amazing preschool, there is no doubt that he would need to be in a special ed class when he hits school age.  Ultamitely costing tax payers a lot more money in the long run, especially since we would have to have had 2 years of home services instead of in the school.

• Options
    I seriously can't believe all the cuts that these schools are making. it is sad for the teachers losing their jobs of course but SO sad for the kids. Shouldn't we be doing better for our kids? And I would say it would make me consider sending my kids to private school but my MIL teaches at a catholic school and the parish is so in debt that they are putting 27 kids in her 3rd grade class next year! 27! for one teacher! Thats not fair to the kids or the teachers.
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Options

That is so sad, I know a few teachers who are displaced and it really stinks. I also agree on how hard it is on these kids. Some have so little at home, now you take away their activities in school too? No art or gym? Kind of hard to curb child obesity if you take away gym class!

Sorry you are having a bad last day.....and I hope your friends can find another teaching job!  

• Options
    Well, I was a teacher and 4yrs ago my position was eliminated-here I am 4yrs later still not teaching-part by choice and part that there is NOTHING out there! It's very sad for the kids-they always say how "behind" we are compared to other countries and how is this helping??  And it sucks that sports get $ but things like art and music don't.
  • Options
    That is just so sad and frustrating.  We live in the city and love it here but the thought of Eva going to a school that doesn't have art, music and p.e. is enough to make me want to move.  I hope that everyone who lost his/her job is able to find something (hopefully, somewhere where they will be appreciated).  I taught for 13 years before having Eva and now I'm really starting to worry that I won't be able to find a job when I'm ready to return to the workforce.  I wish politicians would start valuing education as much as they say they do when they campaign.  We really are stealing from our children and weakening our standing as a country.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"