Single Parents

Weigh in

No pun intended (this will make sense after reading the link).  Usually my month board is very vanilla, but there was some drama llama over there yesterday.  Thought I'd link the post that sparked it all and see what everyone over here thought, since we seem to have no SP drama to discuss lately

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/54881578.aspx

Re: Weigh in

• I didn't read the whole thing because I'm wrapping up for the day but it sounds like there's a huge debate about body image issues.  What I caught (just from one poster) kind of irked me.  It basically said that if you were a size 4 you don't have the right to complain about body image issues. 

There has always been, IMO, a double standard.  It's ok to basically call someone a "skinny biitch" but NEVER ok to speak ill of someone who's overweight.  I know plenty of people who struggle to keep weight on and people will make comments to them like "oh go eat a cheeseburger".  I think it's not ok to mock someone whether they're 105 lbs or 305 lbs.  It's about respect. 

I know, for me, I'm my own worst critic.  I do work out and eat healthy but I'm always trying to figure out ways to look my best (because that's when I FEEL my best).  I would never be described as overweight or even chubby but there are times when I don't feel as confident because I ate like crap or missed workouts.  However, I feel almost like I wouldn't have the right to make a comment about things like that because I'm not considered overweight.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As someone who has never been "slim" so to say, the following is my take on things.

I was around an average weight in high school and when I moved away to go to college, I gained 70 lbs in a matter of a year and a half - no joke. It felt and looked awful and so I started watching what I ate. Around the time when ex and I split, I decided enough was enough and started walking and seriously eating clean.  I dropped 30 lbs in about 5 months and felt amazing. I still continue to work out about 4-5 times a week. 

To me, it's as simple as if you don't like it, change it. It's really hard but so worth it and even when you are at your ideal weight, you will still have body image issues. 

Achase, I totally get where you are coming from with the "skinny ***" thing. It really is a double standard.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"