Natural Birth
Options

Contraindictions for homebirth?

Besides, pre existing medical conditions, what are they? I had PIH with number one but I think it was mostly job related because once I took my leave at work, my BP stabilized and they said it was no longer considered PIH. Anyways, we are meeting with 2 different midwives next week for Homebirth so I will ask then too but I am curious what you all have been told?
someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

Re: Contraindictions for homebirth?

• Options
    I'm not sure what pre-existing conditions you're talking about, but something that would be a contraindication would be something like placenta previa, which requires a c-section. Some MW's will tell you that a previous c-section is a contraindication, but not all agree on that and many women have HBAC's.
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

post-dates

type 1 diabetes

GD

pre-term

vbac

breech

these are just off the top of my head things that i've heard from MWs locally. FWIW, the only thing on the above list that my MW would have said was contraindicated was pre-term birth and poorly managed diabetics. she is skilled in vbac (i had an HBAC wtih her!), breech presentation, post-dates are just that, unless there is indication that the baby is in distress, and she is skilled at managing diabetic moms.

this will be different from MW to MW, so it's really best to understand her unique experience and qualifications.

ETA: oh definitely placenta previa. it is not safe to vaginally birth under this circumstance. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageLindseyJW:

post-dates

type 1 diabetes

GD

pre-term

vbac

breech

these are just off the top of my head things that i've heard from MWs locally. FWIW, the only thing on the above list that my MW would have said was contraindicated was pre-term birth and poorly managed diabetics. she is skilled in vbac (i had an HBAC wtih her!), breech presentation, post-dates are just that, unless there is indication that the baby is in distress, and she is skilled at managing diabetic moms.

this will be different from MW to MW, so it's really best to understand her unique experience and qualifications.

ETA: oh definitely placenta previa. it is not safe to vaginally birth under this circumstance. 

definately depends on the MW and their experiences.  For postdate my MW needs to consult her backup, but it isn't a contraindication, still up to us to decide what to do.  Pre-term issues should definately have an OB consulted, but if a woman makes it to term I don't think it would be a contraindication for home birth. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"