Natural Birth

XP: If you have an ergo carrier come in

(also posted on the 3rd tri board, but thought I might get more responses here)  I really want to get an Ergo baby carrier for when LO arrives (my first).  However, I need to order it online since I don't have a seller near me.  The only one I have seen in person is the original, but there are so many styles its hard to know which one to choose.  Which ergo do you have?  Do you like it?  Which one do you recommend?  I want it to be good for me and DH  we are both quite tall (6' and 6'2") for use in a warmer climate, year round for carrying LO.   I want an Ergo because I have two herniated discs in my back and want a very supportive carrier. TIA 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: If you have an ergo carrier come in

• I do not have an Ergo so no advice on that. I just wanted to let you know that you will probably get good feedback if you post this on the Attachment Parenting board. There are tons of posts on that board relating to baby wearing. That is where I go whenever I have a question about a carrier.
  • I have the Ergo Sport and love it.  It's better for warmer weather than the original since the fabric is lighter and more breathable.  It also has a little vent on the front to help keep LO cool.  The waist band extends an additional 5 inches too, which could be good if you want your DH to use it.

The Performance is more breathable but I wouldn't recommend it for you since it's not as supportive as the other styles.  The straps aren't as padded either, so it's not as comfortable.

ETA: I forgot to mention that the Ergo isn't meant for newborns.  You can buy an infant insert otherwise you shouldn't use it until 4-5 months.  Reviews are pretty mixed on the insert though, so you may want to look into a wrap style carrier like the Moby until your LO is old enough for the Ergo.  They work great for newborns and only cost a little more than the Ergo insert.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We have the Ergo Sport and like it a lot.  I used the Moby, when DD was a newborn, so I can't speak for how it works with the really little ones, but now that DD is older we enjoy using it with her.  My DH is 6 '5 and he finds it comfortable to wear.  
  • I have two, the original one and a sport... I love them both... the sport one is definitely cooler in hot weather, but it doesn't have the convenient little pocket on the front, perfect for a diaper, some wipes, and my iPhone.  ;)  I also use and love my Moby especially for the very little newborn stage.  I'd say you pretty much can't go wrong either way!
  • We also have the sport and like it. You will need to also purchase the newborn insert unless you are just going to roll up a blanket or something for support. I had the Heart2Heart insert and liked it well enough. If I had to choose between an Ergo and Moby though I'd choose the Ergo. My husband would never use the Moby, it's waaaay too hot for summer in hot climates and the longevity of it's use is short compared to the Ergo which I can still carry my almost 3 year old in.
  • I'm 5'10", and my DH is 6'1", and we like the Beco Butterfky better than the Ergo (we had an Ergo at first, but bought a Beco when DS1 was a few months old). I think it fits better if you're taller.

https://www.becobabycarrier.com/cat-1/butterfly-2

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• A wrap is probably too hot to wear comfortably, but something like a ring sling would be cooler, and is good with newborns.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I have an organic Ergo and I love it.  You may like the Sport just because you would want it year round in a warmer climate and I think that one is cooler.
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • I have an Ergo sport. I love it now. I didn't like it when DD was a NB. The insert is a PITA. I loved my Moby for the NB stage up until about 4 months.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"