North Carolina Babies

Anyone go to/went to Kamm, McKenzie & Smith?

And deliver at Big Wake? Thoughts??
image Aiden Jude is on his way! Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Anyone go to/went to Kamm, McKenzie & Smith?

• Hi there - never posted on this board before (just found it, actually).

I'm 30 weeks pregnant with my first and go to Kamm/McKenzie. While I haven't delivered yet, I love this practice. I'm rotating through all the doctors (there are about 8), since you don't know who will be on call when you go into labor. No complaints on any of them.  Dr. McKenzie is so sweet, but I think he's only delivering once a month now.

We took a tour of Big Wake last week at our birthing class. While it's not as nice as Rex or Western Wake, it's got the area's best NICU.
  • Well, welcome! I don't post quite as often as I used to since I am pretty busy working full time with a 2 year old :) Glad to hear you like the practice! I have been to UNC, Duke and Rex before but never Wakemed and this practice only delivers there so was curious what other's experiences have been. Thanks for writing...
    image Aiden Jude is on his way! Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey there- I go to Kamm McKenzie now and they have been wonderful. This is my first, so I will let you know how the Wake Med delivery goes in a few weeks! It is a very popular practice so be prepared to wait, but the care is worth the wait that is for sure :) Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I go there and delivered at Big Wake. I liked all the docs but one. I only had to wait once and that was for maybe 40 minutes. I think the appointment before me though did not go according to plan because the pt left in tears :) I was very impressed with the nurse line. They always called back in a reasonable time. I didn't answer once and they called me back twice and I wasn't even pregnant anymore. I didn't really have any issue with the hospital and I was grateful to have the NICU since DS was born with abnormal lungs. HTH! Lactation nurses were wonderful! They also have a milk bank, which I'm volunteering at tomorrow!
  • I went to them - for 17 years as a GYN patient and most recently as an OB patient.  I always loved my doctor - Dr. Smith.  But once I became pg and started going through the other doctors I did not have a great experience.  In addition, in interviewing doulas we did not get great reports on how they worked with patients who had doulas and were interested in natural childbirth.  I also felt like I had become a number to them rather than a person.  In the end I transferred to UNC Midwives at 34 weeks because I did not feel that Kamm/McKenzie supported me and my vision of childbirth.  Believe me, it was a hard decision to make, but one that I am glad I did.  After the labor I had, I strongly believe that had I stayed with them I would have ended up in a c-section within 24 hrs rather than being allowed to experience a full labor and deliver vaginally even though it wasn't fast.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"