D.C. Area Babies

I have a really dumb formula question

We discovered at H's 6 month visit this week that she lost weight since her 4 mo visit. We went from 50th % to I don't know what, but the pedi was not pleased. So thanks to my craptastic boobs, we have to strictly bottle feed the next week so we know how much she is eating... which means we're going to have to supplement with formula since I'm not making enough milk and don't have a big enough freezer stash.

Annnnyway - is there some special water I'm supposed to use to mix with the powder, or can I just use tap water?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: I have a really dumb formula question

• I just used tap water.  Some people used filtered water or nursery water.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I'm sorry. :(  Did she actually lose weight or just percentages? There are safe ways to try to increase your supply if you think you need to (fenugreek, other herbs). I can't help much with formula, but I'm pretty sure most people use tap water.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry to hear about your DD. We just use lukewarm tap water.

• You are not craptastic!! Seriously, don't beat yourself up. You're doing the best you can. See how much she's getting, and if you are really opposed to formula, see an LC about increasing your supply. If you have to supplement, it's not the end of the world! I couldn't keep up with DS#1 due to a very poorly producing left side and had to supplement - he's perfectly happy and healthy. Or was, until we brought baby #2 home. :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • kastlekastle member

We use tap water.  Not even especially warm tap water.  My "tip" is that if you're on the go, fill the bottle with the appropriate amount of water & put the pre-measured formula in the things you pump into (they are like the perfect size!).  Then, you just mix when it's feeding time & you're not having to worry about how long the formula has been out (which is shorter than for BM.  I always mix fresh bottles)

I'm sorry you're having problems.

• I'm sorry that you are having problems. I also have craptastic boobs, and we have to supplement with some formula. We just use warm tap water and she loves it.
    After 3 miscarriages, I got my forever baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We had 2 brita filters taking up space in our fridge, so we just keep one on the counter now, and that's what we used for formula (and now for his water cups). 

Sorry you are having problems :( 

I second the idea of putting formula in the bottles before hand if you are on the go with the LO.

• We used tap water as well. I can sympathize with supplementing. It's a crappy day when the doctor says your kid has lost weight and you've been doing your best to keep them fed. Although supplementing it was very difficult for me initially, I made my peace with it because I was able to make my BFing goal while supplementing. Feel free to PM me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Don't beat yourself up. You are a great mom! DD actually favored formula over BM. Does your DD have reflux? I can't remember but we used the gentle formula and never had problems with gas or spit-up.

DD would only drink warm formula so I just used tap water. I really liked the 3 compartment container thing for holding the already measured out formula. It was super easy to take in the diaper bag. I did get an insulated bag to keep the water warm in the bottle. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't have any formula advice, but I wanted to echo pps and say don't beat yourself up!  You're advice was so helpful when I was having trouble with my finicky DS (who still isn't great, but at least I know I'm not the only one). If I'm remembering right, you've had a harder and more frustrating BF experience than most so please be proud of yourself on making it to 6 months, that's a long time, especially with how hard it's been!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are an awesome mom, zerf!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aww, thanks ladies. Yes, BFing has been a long, tortuous process for us, I'm still amazed we made it to 6 months! At 6 weeks I was ready to throw in the towel but I held on and here we are. I just had mastitis so that hasn't helped my supply but it was dwindling before that, plus H has short nursing sessions.

She did lose weight, not just percentiles. At her 4 mo visit, which was actually about a week and a half after her 4mo bday, she was 12.12, 24" length and 16" head. This visit she was 12.8, 25" length and 16" head. So very little growth in almost 2 months, and weight loss. :(  The pedi didn't mention percentiles yesterday but from what I can find online with the calculators, she's under 5% for both weight and height. Eeks. I think she probably wouldn't have minded a small drop, but she's consistently been 50-75% for both.

She is back on the Prevacid even though it didn't seem to be working when she was on it earlier. The pedi thinks it may be reflux because she's doing a lot of snorting, grunting and spitting up in the past month, combined with not eating enough. I felt like about the worst mom for not realizing she wasn't getting enough, but there were no indicators - she still had wet/poopy diapers, she wasn't lethargic or screaming for more food, she slept fine.

I'm pumping about 6 times a day now (every 3 hours), and yesterday I pumped 20 oz. She takes 28-30 daily.  I'm going to see if I can boost my supply with fenugreek and oatmeal, but I'm not opposed to supplementing with formula. We've already had to do that when she was just born, and again last night. Whatever it takes to keep her fed and healthy is most important!  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"