LGBT Parenting

PCP/TTC/ATP Wednesday

Pre-Conception Planning/ Trying To Conceive/ All Things Parenting

What's going on in your world?

QOTD: How do you feel about correcting a child that isn't yours?  Example: A child is being rude to your child and no other adult is taking action, or a child shoves past you hurting you in the process.

Re: PCP/TTC/ATP Wednesday

• The camp at their school combines the 3/4y room with the 4/5y room. In the afternoon, they are with the 3/4 teachers (they didn't go there for PK3) and I think the boys are really testing her. As I said in my TTT, they are really into play wrestling and seem to really enjoy the physical contact (we stop it when they are getting out of control/one kid isn't a willing participant/etc.) While their teacher from last year was able to mitigate this behavior, I think the boys are testing this teacher to see where her boundaries are. Sigh. We had to have a long talk last night about appropriate places to do that. I hope it sunk in. :)

How much I discipline depends on who the kid is, if the parent is around, etc. I am forever saying to kids running through our clinic halls, "Walking feet, please!" whether or not their parents are standing there or not. When we've been on the playground and the older kids (10-13y) have been mocking my kids, I have told them to knock it off - and if they don't, I leave with my kids. When the kids have had playdates, I do correct behavior, but don't punish (I don't think that has ever come up.)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Update:  We are ICIing it at home next month, and I'm super excited!  My old obgyn agreed to sign the paperwork.  Yay!

AOTD:  I have ZERO problem correcting children when there aren't other adults around (it's the teacher in me).  What frustrates me is when those adults ARE around and don't do anything about their children.  Depending on the offense/situation, I occasionally will step in.

• Loading the player...
  • On CD2...cycling this month, so we are excited.

QOTD: If they are not being corrected by their parents, or there are general rules that need to be followed (no running in a hospital), I have sometimes gently corrected. Depends on how bad/dangerous it is. I have on several occasions, asked the parents to do their job. "Can you please keep your child from throwing their food at our table?"

Mommies to 5 fur babies!
    TTC#1 since 2004
    LGBT
    4 cycles @ home with known donor - BFN
    RE un-medicated IUI cycles # 1-7= BFN
    NEW RE Clomid 50mg/ Ovidrel/ IUI #8 BFN
    Took long break
    Nov 2009 - Clomid 50mg/ Ovidrel/IUI #9 = BFP
    Beta 12/4 - 10...Beta #2 12/7- 28 Beta #3 12/9 - 80!
    1st sonogram 12/28 - slow hb and growth
    m/c 1/1/2010 Courtland 8w0d
    Nov 2010 cycle cancelled - polyp removal/hysteroscopy
    April 4 2011 - IUI #10 BFFN
    July 5, 2011 - #11 BFFN AMH .62 Boo
  • A...she been a pain in the neck lately.  She has this way of talking to Iz like she is her mother, the tone in her voice gets on my last nerve.  She's been warned time after time and continues doing it.  I don't know what to do to get her to stop.

Iz's attitude and behaviors have been steadily improving this week.

I went to the head start office to fill out some missed forms this morning and was told that  Iz will go by her legal name in school whether we want her to or not.  She will be called by her legal name, taught to write it, it will be on her desk nametag, etc.  Cue the frantic call to the county social worker who was as upset as we are, he will be making a special visit to the preschool to see what he can do for us.

QOTD: I asked this question because I had this exact issue over the weekend.  I am fine correcting children but will not discipline them. 

Our niece (4.5y) was being rude to A and Iz and no one was saying anything to her (she is the resident princess who gets away with murder) so I finally told her to leave them alone or find something else to do.  Later she started yelling at other kids and doing the I'm-better-than-you act so I told her to stop and let J know how she was acting so J could intervene.  At the end of the night I was sitting on the couch with my hand out over the arm and she shoved by, bending my wrist backwards so fast that I let out a quick scream.  She just stood there and stared at me so I told her "next time you need to say excuse me".  J's sister told her after that that she didn't think I should tell our niece anything anymore because it was all for dumb reasons, I felt I was in the right because nobody would say anything to her.  J's sister is her main caretaker (her father doesn't really care about her) when she is at their house and she let's her get away with everything, no discipline at all.

• I am trying to wrap my mind around a two day trip with an 11 month old...props to all of you that travel for longer periods of time with young ones. My packing list is ridiculously long and I am sure DW is going to laugh at me.

I think we have counted wrong on Ann's last cycle as she got her smiley face today (CD11). So in the midst of trip planning we also have insemination....bah!

QOTD: Is the child and/or my child going to get hurt form the action? If so then yes I correct. I used to work in daycare so I have lots of polite ways to stop inappropriate behavior. If not then while I find it annoying it is not my place. I would hate for someone to correct Ky when there is no reason to other than she is annoying someone.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Hi, Everyone,

I haven't been on the boards lately. Kim & I have done 5 IUIs (with Gonal-F and Clomid or Femara) in the last 7 months, with no success. We are taking a break this month (and maybe next month) after 3 cycles in a row.

I know that 5 tries isn't really that many, compared to what some of you have gone through. But honestly, we are trying to decide if we should try a few more cycles or put that money toward IVF. I plan to have a consultation with the RE about this. He's always said I shouldn't have any problems carrying if I can get pregnant, but the last 3 cycles we had 5 or more eggs at or above size, and, nothing.

Our donor's numbers look good, but we are thinking about changing just to see if something clicks. 

I'm producing plenty of eggs, but it's not happening. So, ofc, we wonder if there's something wrong with my eggs. I'm only 34, but I joke about dust!

Thanks for reading!

Best wishes to those of you already on the way or those of you still trying.

--amy

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • It has been a crazy two weeks for me since I am "solo" parenting this time around.  My DP had back surgery last Monday to fuse two of her discs together.  Hopefully she won't be in so much pain once she has recovered.  She hasn't been able to hold LB for more than 3 minutes and it is driving her crazy about that.  She wants to be able to pick him up and just hold him as long as he'll let her.  I hope she heals quickly and safely.  LB took a tumble down the slide today - he had been sliding on his own for a few minutes without any problems, then opps! I didn't make a big deal out of it, but it helped him that I just "cuddled" him in my arms. 

To be honest with you guys... I love it! I love being able to make the decisions and raising him in a way that I feel is best for us.   Hats off to Two* who has been doing it for awhile on her own.  You are an  inspiration!

>>  As for QOTD: How do you feel about correcting a child that isn't yours?  Example: A child is being rude to your child and no other adult is taking action, or a child shoves past you hurting you in the process. <<

>> I feel alright as an educator, however as an parent, I want to advoid conflict.  I'm more comfortable once I understand the reasoning behind their actions.  It does feel like a catch 22 position for me.  Regarding Butterflies' experience - please speak up and step in.  Violence of any kind should not be tolerated. If it is possible - try to redirect the child who is doing the action into a different action or asking them "what if it happened to you? How would you feel about it? " Perhaps some are old enough to make decisions about their actions and learn about consequences.

• I am late to this post, but better late than never right? Smile

We are on to cycle 4, and this time we will be going to an RE instead of doing unmonitored/unmedicated IUI's at the sperm bank. Our new patient meeting and ultrasound are today and I have to schedule an HSG due to fibroid's running in my family. I think we are still going to do one last unmedicated IUI this time before moving onto Clomid but we will see what the RE says today.

We are pretty excited about this cycle, the monitoring that we will get should increase our chances and generally just help us to feel better about the timing. Plus with the lack of support or flexibility that we had from the bank we are just excited to have people generally interested in helping us get pregnant!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageNicJen424:

I am late to this post, but better late than never right? Smile

We are on to cycle 4, and this time we will be going to an RE instead of doing unmonitored/unmedicated IUI's at the sperm bank. Our new patient meeting and ultrasound are today and I have to schedule an HSG due to fibroid's running in my family. I think we are still going to do one last unmedicated IUI this time before moving onto Clomid but we will see what the RE says today.

We are pretty excited about this cycle, the monitoring that we will get should increase our chances and generally just help us to feel better about the timing. Plus with the lack of support or flexibility that we had from the bank we are just excited to have people generally interested in helping us get pregnant!

Good Luck!!!!

Mommies to 5 fur babies!
    TTC#1 since 2004
    LGBT
    Took long break
  • imagehandjive76:

Hi, Everyone,

I haven't been on the boards lately. Kim & I have done 5 IUIs (with Gonal-F and Clomid or Femara) in the last 7 months, with no success. We are taking a break this month (and maybe next month) after 3 cycles in a row.

I know that 5 tries isn't really that many, compared to what some of you have gone through. But honestly, we are trying to decide if we should try a few more cycles or put that money toward IVF. I plan to have a consultation with the RE about this. He's always said I shouldn't have any problems carrying if I can get pregnant, but the last 3 cycles we had 5 or more eggs at or above size, and, nothing.

Our donor's numbers look good, but we are thinking about changing just to see if something clicks. 

I'm producing plenty of eggs, but it's not happening. So, ofc, we wonder if there's something wrong with my eggs. I'm only 34, but I joke about dust!

Thanks for reading!

Best wishes to those of you already on the way or those of you still trying.

--amy

I feel your pain...good luck at whatever you decide!

Mommies to 5 fur babies!
    TTC#1 since 2004
    LGBT
    Took long break
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"