Parenting
Options

If your DC takes swim lessons

What can I expect? Do we need swimmies, goggles, anything?

I'm so excited for B to take swim lessons, I really should've signed her up a LONG time ago but things were too tight.

They really didn't tell me much. I should  call these mofo's.

Re: If your DC takes swim lessons

• Options

DD did not need anything other than a swim suit. We did get her goggles. Although they are not mandatory at our place, they were recommended.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    EMTEMT member

I think different instructors/programs etc have different views on goggles so I'd ask about it. A nearby swim school (that is super popular) that we went to last summer has a no goggles policy but my kids instructor this summer really pushes them. And goggles have been a huge factor in DD being really successful this time.

I would think no floaties/swimmies.

Good luck, it's so fun to see them get it! I don't think it's too late or anything. M literally learned in three weeks this summer. She just wasn't ready last year.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

thanks girls! Also, dfo you get to stay? The girl that signed me up said parents can only stay for hte first and last class. I told her I really wasn't comfortable with that and she said it was policy. Then when I went to view the pool my friend was there with her DD and she said she's never left during a lesson. Do you girls have to leave?

We have a pool and i've been trying to teach her but I much rather a professional do it! My neighbors kid pushed her down in the pool the other day and it freaked me out. That can still happen but I'd like her to have the tools to know how to hold her breath.

• Options
    Ask at the swim school where you take her.  Where my kids go, they need goggles but they have the kids can borrow if you don't own any.  You shouldn't need anything else other than a swimsuit and towel and we shower the girls after at the swim school as they take class at night so this saves time when we get home.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    At ours they recommend not using goggles, but if the chlorine is really bugging a kid they say it is okay. I have seen several kids with them at my dc lessons. Ours are at the local high school pool and we are always allowed to stay and sit in the stands and watch..I can see why they might not want you to because some parents get all involved and talk to their kids during it tho..At my DD dance we are only allowed to come in for the last 5 minutes and that is good because if I am in there my dd is trying to get my attention the whole time or wave(but it is probably her age) she doesn't do that at swimming tho..Have fun-she will probably love it!
    Former nest name=nettie Mom to Nick 09/13/05, Isabel 07/20/07, and Tori 09/08/11 image
  • Options
    Annalise has had lessons through the YMCA. They did not need goggles, and the kids all wear a bubble belt to help them float a little more as they're learning. She did her first class with DH so he was in the pool with her for the first few lessons. They have a viewing area so parents can stay and watch behind the glass without actually being in the pool area. That worked well for us.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    If you get goggles, get them from the swim aisle and not the toy ones, I got one from TJMaxx for like $6 or $8 and they were great and the better Speedo ones are good too, around $8 but the cheap ones are just cheap.  Nothing else, they will want her to learn how to swim without it and would not let her use it.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"