LGBT Parenting

infant thermometers

We registered for a thermometer for our soon to be LO, then read some poor reviews...any suggestions of brands and also of types (forehead, armpit, rectum, ear, etc)?  It seems there are many conflicting messages out there.  Thanks in advance, parents of LOs.

Re: infant thermometers

• For tiny babies, you really need a rectal thermometer. They are the most accurate and our pediatricians always asked for a rectal temp when we called.

Now we have a Red Cross ear thermometer that we think sucks and an Exergen temporal thermometer that it we find is hit or miss (though it gets good reviews on Amazon.) We also have a regular digital thermometer that we use for axillary some times.Thankfully, we are getting to the age where the boys can more reliably do the under the tongue method. Wow, we have a lot of thermometers for a family who doesn't take a temperature too often!

So my suggestion would be to get a regular digital one and a temporal one.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We have an Exergen temporal thermometer (I think it's this one) in addition to several we got at the hospital. We use the hospital ones for rectal temps, and use the forehead one for quick checks or when they are sleeping.

The Exergen seems to measure accurately (it's better than I expected, honestly). The one thing I don't like about it is the version we have doesn't have a backlight on the screen, and as far as I know doesn't store past temps, so if we take a baby's temp in the dark we have to find a light source to read it right away.

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Loading the player...
  • We have 2 basic digital quick read thermometers.  For the girls, we always do rectal and Sprout has always done under the tounge.  we are thermometer minimalists ;)
  • imagectbride08:
    We have 2 basic digital quick read thermometers.  For the girls, we always do rectal and Sprout has always done under the tounge.  we are thermometer minimalists ;)

OK - so far I am hearing votes for a quick read digital and an Exergen for foreheads?

Also - CT - noticed your ticker - Is today Sprout's big day?

• imagemadisonpeas:

Also - CT - noticed your ticker - Is today Sprout's big day?

lol, no. it was actually 2 weeks ago.  I just cant stomach the thought of a new ticker. i'm in denial!

• I thought you had already had a get-together for him.  ah denial...that makes sense :)
  • As the mom of a child who has had fevers with almost every single sniffle and a febrile seizure at age 2 (when she was with her dad) I have more experience than I care to have with thermometers. The rectal when they are small is good, but yes it needs to be quick. I like using the exergen temporal one and have found it to be pretty good. I usually take a couple of swipes to make sure I'm getting an accurate reading. I have compared it to the various digital ones I have used and the readings are close. And I can't tell you how great it is to use while they're sleeping to make sure things are ok.
  • imageseattlekari:
    As the mom of a child who has had fevers with almost every single sniffle and a febrile seizure at age 2 (when she was with her dad) I have more experience than I care to have with thermometers. The rectal when they are small is good, but yes it needs to be quick. I like using the exergen temporal one and have found it to be pretty good. I usually take a couple of swipes to make sure I'm getting an accurate reading. I have compared it to the various digital ones I have used and the readings are close. And I can't tell you how great it is to use while they're sleeping to make sure things are ok.

Yup - this is the reason I love the forehead thermometer. FWIW I find the forehead one to often give the same reading as the rectal.  And if I'm ever worried about a reading I swipe my own head to make sure it's working right :-p

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone. That was super helpful! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"