2nd Trimester

For thoses of you who are...

Team Green...

I honestly do not, will not find out what the sex of my baby is, however I am getting alot of pressure from my DH's side of the family to find out the sex. Not necessarily so I know, but so they know. They "want to prepare." I really don't know how I feel about that. I understand they may want to pick up a few items, however I have no issue with neutral colors. DH's family claims they can't stand buying green, yellow, orange... etc. Where I could care less. To me I feel as being Team Green is saving it for everyone, heck isn't that the point of the surprise? Idk if I am being irrational or if everyone else feels it's okay for "the doctor, or dh" to tell them? One other thing I want to mention MIL is kinda a scatter brain and I am definitely concerned i will stop by the house and see a bag of blue or pink items she forgot to put away.

Sry this is so long, I would love your input :)

Photobucket Corrine & Jason

Re: For thoses of you who are...

• I'm not team green.  I found out with both this and my previous pregnancies.....but i'm impatient like that...lol.

It is your right to be team green (in fact I applaud you for it).  Simply tell your DH's family that you have no interest in finding out the gender of your child until he or she arrives.  They are going to have to respect your decision.  And if they don't want to buy gender neutral then they don't have to...they can wait until the baby arrives.

By all means keep your secret.  Its not irrational at all!

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • tyvm I appreciate it. I feel like I have tried to relay that point, however they can be "over the top." Ty again
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejustme04:

...It is your right to be team green (in fact I applaud you for it).  Simply tell your DH's family that you have no interest in finding out the gender of your child until he or she arrives.  They are going to have to respect your decision.  And if they don't want to buy gender neutral then they don't have to...they can wait until the baby arrives.

By all means keep your secret.  Its not irrational at all!

This exactly. Don't let them pressure you into it. They will just have to respect your decision. This is your baby, your pregnancy :-) Do it your way. 

pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker
  • I never found out with my other 4 but this time I figure why not. If they keep bugging you can always tell them that the baby just wont cooperate and show what it is.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Personally I would never be Team Green. I hate neutral colors too! As far as them knowing and you not I really don't think that's a good idea. Your right when you think you'll come home and find something boy or girl not put away on accident! Plus everyone will know but you so I'm sure somebody would end up spilling the beans in some way! I would make them all wait. They should respect your decision and instead wait until after the baby to buy.
  • I'm team green too!  My hubby wanted to find out, but I put my foot down at the first apt and told everyone no, we aren't finding out.  My MIL wished we knew so she could "prepare" as well, but I was like, sorry, too bad.  I have a really good relationship with her, so that helps.  This is the first grandbaby on both sides, so I feel like they should just be happy and hope for a healthy baby.  Stay strong!
  • This is your decision.  If you don't want to know, I wouldn't even let the doctor or DH tell them just in case there is a slip up.

Just tell them it's your uterus and you can do whatever you please with it. :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Our 3 Precious Angels That Left Us Too Soon
    BFP #2-EDD 07/05/13 - Tater and Tot passed at 12w3d. D&C 1/17/13
    BFP #3-EDD 12/19/13 - Peanut passed at 9w1d. D&C 05/31/13

Diagnosed with Hypothyroid 05/20/13 

BFP #4 - 09/22/13 - DD#2 born 05/27/14

All Alers Welcome!

imageimage

• Sounds like I am in the same boat as you. His family claims that they cannot find anything gender neutral and how it would be so much easier to buy clothes if they knew what we were having. It has continued well after my Anatomy Scan. His family can be really over bearing and I finally became a *** and snapped. This was after his grandmother told me how upset she was that someone else purchased the bathtub and that is what she wanted to get us. I told her too bad, a good friend of mine purchased it for us and I am not returning it just so she can. She kept going which really made me mad because it was over a $15 item. Most of the items on my registry are in this price range, so what is the big deal, pick something else....(Sorry for the side vent)

I told her if it was really that big of an issue, than just don't buy anything. I told her she would have the rest of her life to know what the baby is and buy clothing. They will grow quickly and constantly need new sizes. 

I will not promise you it will get better, because it has just continued. It is my DH's and my decision only. This goes for the names as well. I know it has become increasingly challenging to keep my mouth under control, but I am at the point that I have no problem pulling the I am pregnant and crazy card. I would not want my DH or family to know before me, that is just wrong. You are choosing to wait and so can everyone else....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am Team Green too, and I cannot believe your in-laws would expect that they could know the sex and not you! I think it is definitely not OK for everyone but you to know if it is a boy or a girl, and I think it's ridiculous that they would even suggest it! Even if no one let it slip (which I'm sure someone would, by accident), it would feel like you're out in the dark while everyone else plans, I would not like it one bit! I think if you're going to be Team Green, it's all or nothing. 

They will have plenty of time to buy things once the baby comes! Just put your foot down. You are the parent, not them! 

BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I plan on finding out, later this week hopefully!! But this is your choice. Period. All you really need to bring a baby home are the basics. Maybe MIL should throw a "Welcome Baby ?" Party and then they can buy all the pink and purple or blue they like. ; ) 
  • Don't feel bad about not telling them - it's your choice, and I agree with you - part of the fun of not knowing is telling everyone after the baby is born. As for "preparing," you might try reminding them that ultrasound scans are never 100% sure, so you'd be better off getting neutrals anyway. There are so few real surprises in life, and this is one of them - hopefully they can relax and enjoy the anticipation with you! 

• I experienced a little bit of this with my first.  I remember my mother-in-law kind of stomping her foot when we were shopping together and saying, "Well how in the world are you supposed to buy a diaper bag????"  And I just said, "I'm the one carrying it!"  But anyway, there are plenty of things that you need besides clothing for this baby.  If you plan on having more children, I wouldn't want a gender specific swing, car seat, pack n play, etc anyway.  I kept telling my mom and MIL, it's not like it's a total guess -- it's a 50/50 chance of boy or girl.  You WILL know when the baby is here, it won't be a mystery forever! 
  • Stick to your guns. Your doc will know what you're having, but under no circumstances should your ILs know first! If they need to prepare themselves, it sounds like they will absolutely not be able to keep the secret, which is obviously very important to you. They can wait to buy baby clothes or buy gender-neutral stuff, or buy both and deal with return policies. YOUR baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
    221_-6_Little Charlotte is.png" alt="baby" border="0" />
  • One reason we decided to be team green was because we don't want the super gender-specific stuff, especially since we hope to have a second later and will need to be able to use it all again, including the clothes.

We just explained to the in-laws (and this did surprise them) that we didn't need them buying anything anyway. We were prepared to handle it ourselves. Anything they would enjoy buying, great. But feel free to skip the shopping altogether. 

They also assumed we'd be willing to fly halfway across the country (at our own expense) for a shower. No possible way the gifts would add up to even half of our airfare. Some people just overestimate how important it is to get free stuff. 

• I'm team green with this baby, and was with my first as well.   There were so many reasons we decided to wait to find out the gender, but after Lila was born i was so glad we did.   I had lots of nice gender neutral stuff then after she was born a tidal wave of pink came in.  i kid you not, Dh came home with 3-4 bags of gifts daily and it was all pink. 

If we'd found out beforehand it would be like swimming in a sea of pepto bismol.

Tell his family that you don't need anything before the baby is borna dn they are welcome to wait until afterwards to shop if they'd like.

• I would never let ILs or anyone else in the family find out the sex ahead of time.  That really irritates me when they make us feel like we're inconveniencing them, it's not their baby!
    TTC #2 since 2011 (took 1.5 years to conceive spontaneously after multiple failed clomid cycles and 1 failed clomid +IUI)
    Me- PCOS, borderline hypothyroid
    Him- low concentration/count

Feb 2014- started acupuncture
    Feb 2014- BFP
    March 2014- m/c @ 5 weeks
    May 2014- HSG, all clear, started Synthroid, Femara 5mg CD 3-7 + trigger + TI= BFN
    Waiting for new RE appointment end of July 2014

• I am Team Green and got sick of hearing people's opinions on the topic the last time, so with this one I just said that that baby wouldn't show the goods at the U/S. Anyway, you are 25 weeks pregnant, so do you even have another U/S scheduled? I don't have one until the end to check on positioning. 

So I'd handle it by telling people that you don't have any way to find out. I would never have any unnecessary procedure just to look for the baby's sex. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • do what you are comfortable with. this is your pregnancy so try not to feel pressure from in-laws. I know that's not always easy but it is your baby. if you don't want to find out, don't. the added colors will come in soon enough and will be plenty.

DH told me we had a boy, in the delivery room. It was the most amazing feeling in the world and we plan to wait for this one. I personally would never tell my in-laws or have DH tell anyone else before we found out.

• 'Our baby, our decision'

'Sorry, we've chosen to be surprised, you'll find out when we do'

'I don't want gender specific gear in case the next one is opposite so I'm not worried about that'.

'The nursery decor is beautiful for either and we can bring in touches of color later'

'They really need so little in the beginning, we'll (you'll) have time to find cute outfits later'

'This is life's one true surprise left, I don't want to miss it'. (This is mine go to. Nothing went as we had hoped with DS's delivery and the ONE thing we were able to have was DH telling me what we had. Not a tech, not a doctor, MY HUSBAND when he saw OUR child. I want that moment again. Clothing choices be damned..I'm not giving up that moment).

'STFU'

Seriously, we were team green last time and I was sick of comments from people. I played nice for a while and then pretty much said 'too bad'. This time we're team green again and I've been called selfish for not finding out. Sorry, it's not your uterus so kma. I don't yell at people for finding out...why is it okay to yell at me for not finding out?

• Not only are we Team Green, we also aren't telling anyone what our choices are for names!

Let them suffer, imo. It's your pregnancy, your baby, your decision. Really only you and DH have to "plan", it sounds like they are just trying to make excuses to find out. Don't let them pressure you, and don't feel bad.

GO TEAM GREEN Big Smile

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Tell them that they can find out the sex of any babies they have in the future, and back the fvck off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't have a solution, but I am annoyed on your behalf....how selfish of these people.
  • We are team green, and it's driving everyone (especially my mother) nuts. And I couldn't care less.

A few people have said how difficult it will be to buy stuff, to which I replied "We're not asking anyone to buy anything, but should you choose to want to get LO something, I have registered for plenty of gender-neutral things that may be helpful for you to choose from, or you can wait until after the baby is born"

My mom has actually crossed her arms and pouted like a 2-year-old because we are not finding out the gender, and because we will not reveal our name choices.

Stick to your guns. If you prefer a surprise, then everyone else will just have to deal with it- this child is in your uterus. Besides, if anyone else knows, you can pretty much count on the surprise being ruined. If you have a baby shower, all of the pink or blue stuff will probably tip you off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • you need to hold your ground on this decision.  if you cave in to their pressure, you are setting a bad precedent for any other decisions regarding YOUR child.  they will think they have a "say" when they really should not.  you and dh need to set very firm boundaries for them NOW.

they sound extremely selfish.  i hope your dh backs you up. 

• We are team green (well, dh isn't, but we're not telling anyone that!), and I just tell people that babies all need the same things and we would prefer gender neutral anyway. As far as clothes, there will be loads of time for them to buy clothes after baby arrives! 

Good for you for sticking to your guns! Its your pregnancy, and hopefully they will forget about all of it in the future.

• People just need to realize, it is NOT about THEM.

You and your DH call the shots, like it or not.  Everyone always has an opinion.

There is no NEED for them to know. How can knowing really help them?  Girls do not have to have pink clothes/accessories and boys do not need blue.

What they are really saying is "this is what I want and is easier for me, so I need to know".  Just screams selfish to me.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*
  • I am going green this time around.  We already have a boy and girl so we want this one to be a surprise, since its our last.  We are getting pressured as well.  But the babies room is already painted baby green so it really doesn't matter.  They can also buy brown things and then accent with pink or blue after the baby is born.  It is your decision and don't let them change your mind.  I doubt that his mom knew the sex of her babies, since they didn't use to do routine ultrasounds.  There is plenty to buy for a baby that has nothing to do with sex so they can still get gifts ahead of time.  Plus if you are planning on having more children you may not want everything aiming at one sex or another.  GL!
  • Why is it everyone wants to get involved in your pregnancy? I get the same thing from everyone at work. I was team green the first time and it was the most amazing thing ever. Just as everyone says they hate neutral colors, I think it is stupid to have everything pink or blue. just because your child is a boy or girl doesn't mean their favoritt colors are going to be pink or blue and it doesn't mean they will look good in those colors.

If they really care and they don't want to but nuetral, tell them to have stuff picked out and save up and they can go buy it when they find out. babies really don't need much the first week or two, so i don't know what they are saying about being prepared. Don't falter on your decision, you will regret it! You never know if this is the only pregnancy you will be blessed with, so do it your way.

• Ty so much laides for all of your support. You have honestly made me feel 100% better about my decision not to find out the gender. As one of the PP's said "There are so few surprises in life." I truly do believe that. I will keep you all updated. Thanks again :)

• I would for sure tell the truth. YOU dont want to find out so nobody will be finding out. If they are able to push you around with this...I cant even imagine what a pain they will be when the baby arrives
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • If it were me, and if I were really intent on staying Team Green, I would just tell the tech I don't want to know. I just couldn't expect everyone to know and not tell me, whether it be intentionally or not.

I understand it can be harder to shop for Team Green but:

1 - It's your pregnancy/baby, not theirs, so they don't get their say in whether you find out the sex of the baby or not

2 - Yes, it is fun to buy cute little boy/girl outfits, but unless they are planning on buying your LO a coming home outfit, there's no reason they can't wait until after the baby is born to get them.

3 - If you have a registry, they can't complain they won't know what to buy! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We (I) decided that we are not going to find out the sex of this, our 2nd, child because they told us wrong on the first child.  I hate to say it, but it was disappointing to find out our little boy was actually a little girl.  At least I brought a "just-in-case it's a girl" outfit with me to the hospital to bring her home in.  Even if they tell you what you're having...it's still just a best guess.  I would rather be expecting to be surprised at what we are having rather than to be surprised at their "best guess" mistake and have all the wrong color baby stuff.

Stick to your guns!

• I'm not sure what you're even questioning here!  If you don't want to know, then they don't get to know either - no ifs, ands, or buts about it.  It's not like it's the craziest thing in the world to not find out - lots of people don't.  Do what you want to do and tell them to mind their own business.  Your pregnancy is not about them.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"