LGBT Parenting

Any piano players here?

I have been searching Craigslist for a piano and came across one for $100 last night.  It looks well kept in the pictures, interior and exterior look nice to me but I have no clue about pianos.

It was left in the house that the man selling it just bought, he has no use for it and wants it out.  He says it sounds nice and looks good but he also isn't a piano player.

J and I plan to go look at it this weekend but I'm not sure what I need to be looking for.  Any tips?

Re: Any piano players here?

• I don't know anything about pianos - but I do know that if has been sitting there and/or being moved, you will need to have it tuned. So factor that into your pricing! :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • what's the brand and age?

honestly, for that price, you can't be too picky. like the PP said, you'll definitely want to get it tuned and checked out. but, if this is a wooden upright for $100, you're basically robbing the guy, even if it's kind of old.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• Loading the player...
  • imageInfamousQBert:

what's the brand and age?

honestly, for that price, you can't be too picky. like the PP said, you'll definitely want to get it tuned and checked out. but, if this is a wooden upright for $100, you're basically robbing the guy, even if it's kind of old.

Agreed!

• I would keep an eye out for challenges moving it out of the house (weird angles? will it have to be hoisted through a window?)... maybe the last owners left it because it was too expensive to move?

I'd probably price movers beforehand, too. I was going to buy an inexpensive piano off CL once, but while the piano itself was $100 or so, moving it was going to cost me $300+.

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • imagethiswillbe:

I would keep an eye out for challenges moving it out of the house (weird angles? will it have to be hoisted through a window?)... maybe the last owners left it because it was too expensive to move?

I'd probably price movers beforehand, too. I was going to buy an inexpensive piano off CL once, but while the piano itself was $100 or so, moving it was going to cost me $300+.

yes, this. moving a piano can be expensive. usually about $100 for an easy move. if it's easy access and a quick in and out (no stairs or weird angles), it's not that big of a deal. you might even be able to get some strong guy friends with a truck to help you get it on your own. but anything trickier than that and you'll need professionals. just something to factor in.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• imageInfamousQBert:

what's the brand and age?

It's a Strohber, 1920's, upright, you can see the ad here.  I called to get more info last night, the piano is in great condition, just needs a tuning.  The bench needs to be reupholstered, that's the only major flaw.

From bluebookofpianos.com:
    "The Strohber piano from the beginning has been an instrument of marked individuality and durable quality. It is one of the "Pianos of Character" manufactured by the Smith, Barnes & Strohber Division of the Continental Piano Co. at Milwaukee factory. The "Strohber Diminutive" was introduced in 1921 and met with instantaneous success, due to its wonderful quality. It is a practical piano of modest proportion and design, with a tone remarkable for volume and quality. It is eminently adapted for the small apartment or bungalow, as well as the schoolroom. The diminutive player marks a distinct advance in player construction."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"