D.C. Area Babies

4 Week Old Sleep or Lack thereof

Hi Ladies,

I rarely post but need some advice. DD is almost 4 years old and DS is 4 weeks. DD was STTN at 3 weeks from 12-7 all on her own. For the past few days DS has been sleeping 12:30-6am every other day that is if I keep him awake past 8pm. Between 8-12 he slept one hour last night. I didn't think that would be a big deal but he reverted back to 12-4:30 sleeping and stayed up until 7:30am!

He usually eats 3.5 to 4oz each feeding but yesterday he decided to do 2 oz every two hours during the day and pulled 4oz around 8pm. Crazy!!

Should I keep pushing the 12-6am or let him do his own pattern?

Married to DH 9/9/06 DD arrived 11/10/07 DS arrived 5/26/11

Re: 4 Week Old Sleep or Lack thereof

• I think it's hard to get a baby that young to sleep on the schedule you want.  A 6 hour stretch at 4 weeks is pretty impressive in my book if it happens at all, since my DD was many months older before she could/would do that.  I think your DD was an unusually good sleeper and your DS's funky sleep habits are a little more typical!

Isn't there a growth spurt at 4 weeks?  I would think his change in eating and sleeping is likely related to that and something you could just wait out.

imageimageimage
  • Lol, I know it's hard if you aren't used to it, but just be grateful for the brief respite you got of him sleeping 12-6! That's amazing for such a young baby. I'm sure he will return to it relatively soon - as you well know, it doesn't last forever. It's hard to think positively when you're in the midst of a bad spell though! Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • wow, your DD was a phenomenal, almost-unheard-of great sleeper! your DS is much more typical. My 1 y.o. woke up every 5mins screaming (teething, molars) and put himself back to sleep the other night, so needless to say I did not STTN at all. At 4 weeks old, you just have to roll with it, IMO.  Nurse/feed on demand as he's probably going thru a growth spurt and don't try to put him on any sort of a sleep schedule for months to come.

good luck and congrats on your new baby!

ETA: 12-4:30 omg I would have given up my arm for my 4-week old to sleep that much, heck even my 4 month old! OK, my kids did not STTN til almost a year old

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"