Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Did you poop during labor?

I saw my cousin give birth yesterday and she pooped, peed, puked etc. all in her bed. I remember puking but I didn't poop. It really grossed me out though. I am not cut out to be a doula or a midwife so its a good thing I like my job in an office! But anyways, I know lots of people poop during pushing.
someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

Re: Did you poop during labor?

• If it grossed you out -- why are you asking? Just so you can feel good about how you didn't??? and yes, it's common.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • You may not even know you pooped. My OB said almost everyone does and the doctors and nurses don't typically say anything about it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yup, and so did almost everyone I know.
  • saskysasky member
    Yup.  Aint no shame.

Baby Boy #1 born 1/15/2010

Babies #2 & #3 arriving Spring 2014 (EDD June 18)

• imageMrsBeckO:
    You may not even know you pooped. My OB said almost everyone does and the doctors and nurses don't typically say anything about it. 

this. And FTR, I have no idea if I pooped. I don't want to know.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Yep.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yup. I could feel it and made jokes about needing "puppy pads."  At that point in labor, I would have pooped in front of the entire world if it ment DS was finally coming out.  I pushed for over four hours. 
  • Yep, both times.  I knew it was happening but the nurses/OB didn't say anything about it.  I *think* they generally don't say anything so even people who think they didn't poop probably did and just didn't realize it.  It's all part of the L&D fun!
  • Yes, apparently I did and didn't even know it.  It didn't even cross my mind to ask for a really long time and then one day someone mentioned it and I asked DH and he said I did.  I pushed for 2 hours, so it doesn't really surprise me.
  • Yes indeed.  I could tell by the way the nurse kept changing the pad underneath me.  DH was also sure to let me know.  Wink
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • After being strapped to a bed for 36 hrs it was bound to happen.  And, I'll admit that I'm proud to have made on of the doctors gag
  • Sh!t happens.  
  • i did not poop (i used a mirror so i am sure of this) and nor did i puke.

but it is common and that is why i was not about to let anyone other than my DH watch.

• Nope....I had C-sections. ;) But....had I been pushing, I'm sure I would have.  It is totally normal.  Also, now that I have 2 kids in diapers...poop does not gross me out anymore.  I have cleaned a lot of poop over the last 18 months.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have no idea if I did.  I had so much pressure on my tail bone that the entire pushing process felt like I was shitting out a soccer ball. 

With the catheter and bag of pee hanging off the side of the bed and having my vag on display for multiple strangers...poop happening at that point wouldn't have bothered me, I felt like fvcking science project at that point.

• Yes with DD, no with DS.  However, with DS I had uncontrollable toots with my epi which was waaay more embarassing lol

1st pregnancy: m/c began 1/12/09 d&c 1/13/09 8wks. Baby stopped growing at about 6wks.

Delaney: Born 10/15/09

Gavin: Born 4/8/11

Baby #3: due July 10, 2014

• pooped and puked. H does not do well with smells so he was ready to die.
  • From what I read, and what I was told by doctors and friends, it's VERY common and most women are not aware they have done it unless they are told.

With that said, I have no clue if I did. My husband didn't mention it nor did my mother-both watched the delivery.

I however did puke -with every single push.. for 2 hours straight.. I don't think they poop would have grossed them out anymore.

• imagerobinsokj:
    After being strapped to a bed for 36 hrs it was bound to happen.  And, I'll admit that I'm proud to have made on of the doctors gag

That's hilarious!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yep, I did. I was horrified, but oh well. I'm sure that big Chipotle burrito right before my water broke didn't help matters any...haha.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm not 100% sure if I did or not. My H says I did, my mom says I didn't. I think I might have and my mom just doesn't want me to feel bad lol. Of course my H just could be a jerk. He likes to pick on me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DH said I didn't...but I'm pretty sure he lied!
  • imageoctwed07:
    If it grossed you out -- why are you asking? Just so you can feel good about how you didn't??? and yes, it's common.

Yes. I have a superiority complex and like to feel better about myself for not pooping in labor when so many others did. Thank you for seeing the error of my ways. :eyeroll:

FTR, Ya'll are right, I probably did poop but no one mentioned it and I didn't see it so it didn't happen in my book. :)

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• After I got all cleaned up I asked DH if I pooped and he said nope so I am guessing I didn't. I also didn't have anything to eat for over 24 hours so that could be why he said I didn't. I did point out to him about the bag being under the bed to catch the poop and he laughed. Later he told me all he could think about were the horse poop bags that they use when you go on a carriage ride! It was a good laugh after but if he would have said it before I gave birth I probably would have jumped down his throat for that comment.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I puked but no poop.  To be fair though, I was induced & had instructions to eat a light meal before a certain time that night.  By the time I got around to pushing, there was nothing in me to poop.
  • Now, I have to add that I'm surprised by how many of you puked during labor!  I didn't know that was common.  I did not and I don't know anyone who did (unless they just didn't tell me which is very possible). 
  • imageMrsBeckO:
    You may not even know you pooped. My OB said almost everyone does and the doctors and nurses don't typically say anything about it. 

this!  I have no idea, but I have to assume that I did.

• No pooping here.  I asked H, my mom, the doc and nurse, everyone said 'no'...unless they were telling fibs! 
  • It's very common.  A lot of women poop and don't even know it until somebody tells them later on.  I did not realize that I pooped on the table but I did notice the nurse cleaning up something so I assumed it was poop... LOL

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • No, but I did have a lot of bleeding so there was a lot of clean up....and stitches. 
  • I puked twice and one of those times it went all over one of the nurses shirt! I felt so bad!! As far as I know I did not poop (I had a mirror but only for some part of it) but its possible DH just didn't want to tell me! lol
  • Not while pushing, but that's only because I  was completely cleaned out by the time I got my epi.  And I puked with every contraction for over an hour.  Active labor was not easy on me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I never got to the pushing stage and ended up having a c-section, so no pooping for me. I remember thinking during labor, though, that pooping (which I had been SO worried about) wouldn't really be that big of a deal. At that point, I felt so on display and no privacy that it just would have been one more thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• i didn't, but that's only because as soon as my water broke, my colon did too, and i think by the time i was ready to push 18 hours later, there was nothing else but baby to come out.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't know if I pooped during pushing. I didn't ask, and no one told me. I'm assuming that I did seeing that I pushed for nearly four hours. But I'm totally fine with being in the dark on this particular piece of the labor puzzle.
  • Nope!  I had a c-section.  If I had been pushing & pooped, SO would have left the room.  Like a PP's DH, he doesn't handle smell very well & would have probably puked.
  • No poop OR puke for me.  I'm clearly the superior one.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• imageCytina:
    Now, I have to add that I'm surprised by how many of you puked during labor!  I didn't know that was common.  I did not and I don't know anyone who did (unless they just didn't tell me which is very possible). 

Me too! I know it's very common to poop (I never asked if I did or not, and even though I watched with a mirror I may have missed it) but didn't know so many women puked. 

I would rather poop than barf (and with every push, OMG...I hate puking and I pushed for over 2 hours, that just sounds like torture!)  

• I had this massive poo - about 2-3 poops the day before I went into labor. So by the time I was in labor there was nothing left in me. I lucked out, I guess. However, I puked inbetween pushing and then after he was out I continued to vomit. It was the most exhausting hour and 26 min of MY LIFE! That's how ling I pushed for. ::cringes::
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No pooping because I had C-sections but with my first I puked all during labor and after the C-section which is common. With DS2 I puked after the C-section for the first 2 days.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"