Upstate NY Babies
Options

Interesting article re: teens having sex at home

Re: Interesting article re: teens having sex at home

• Options
    I skimmed the article.  I don't think this is anything new.  There were certianly parents allowing teens to have sex at home when I was a teen.  There just wasn't the internet for people to talk about it like there is today.  I also think it depends on the parent's experience with sex as a teen.  I know for me the forbidden, hiding, secrets associated with sex was far more exciting than the sex itself.  I bet I would have been less sexually active if the forbidden element was removed.  Will I allow my kids to have sex at home?  I am 99.999999999999% sure that answer is NO.  But I do hope to have a relationship with my kids that I know what they are doing, even if it means knowing they are having sex and being OK with it.  In hindsight, it is amazing luck that I survived my teenage years without any serious long term consequences.
  • Options
    I am definitely not going to be the cool mom on this one. Plus, no way when I was a teen would I want to be having sex at my parents house. Of course, I was always kind of a prude in high school (plus it didn't help that I went to an all-girls HS and didn't really know a lot of guys). Boys were not even allowed upstairs, even if it wasn't MY boyfriend. I am ok with having that rule at my house haha.
    image        image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

well  the first mother is talking about her 18 year old son- to me he's an adult...

I was more concerned with the girls who were like, "what do you say when the obstacle of your parents is missing..." what do you mean what do you say?!? You say, "NO" if you don't want to have sex and if your bf is such a douche to pressure you- you get rid of him- period. the end.

I'm trying to imagine having this discussion with Lorenzo and Baby 2- I know I had sex at home (and it was forbidden) and I dont think i would have had more or less if it had been ok...

I also know that I will have condoms available and the sex talk will start very early in my house.... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Can you imagine hanging out watching tv while your kid is upstairs having sex?  Jeeze.

I won't be allowing that.  First of all, in my opinion, I think doing so says that you are ok with your teenager having sex.  I know people say "Oh teens have sex anyway".  Well I didn't.  A lot of my friends didn't.  And a lot of my friends did.  I sure knew where my parents stood on pre-marital sex.  I did end up having sex with DH before we were married, but I also wasn't a teen living at home.  Boys were not allowed in my parents house when they weren't home.  I remember a few times I did have boys over (but also with my girl friends).  And there would have been no way my parents would have allowed a boy upstairs with me, even with the door open or something, let alone closed to have sex.

DHs parents never really talked about sex.  Although DH was a pretty big nerd in high school and I don't think the opportunity was ever there!  He did have a few partners in college.  My mom talked to me about safe sex, using protection and talking to the dr.  She talked about stds and the emotional toll having sex before you are ready or married can bring.  DH and I are both in agreement that that is how we will raise our kids as well.  To be knowlegable about all the consequences and how to prevent them, but to also be very aware that our wish for her is to not have sex until she is married and definitely not as a teen.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"