Upstate NY Babies

Do you eat these foods?

I was reading an article in an old Women's Heath magazine about the top super foods women should eat. So I thought I'd share.... for all of us who are trying to get healthy and everyone else too. (we can all benefit from healthy choices!)

So, which do you eat, which are you going to try and add into your diet, and which ones would you not touch?

1. Yogurt: (low fat or fat free plain) higher in calcium than other dairy product, plus lots of other nutrients, including protein and potassium. Buy plain and add your own fruit and honey to sweeten, to avoid added sugar and chemicals from artificial sweeteners. 
  2. Eggs: nutritious, versatile and high in protein. Also contain 12 vitamins and minerals, including choline, which is good for brain development and memory.
  3. Nuts: heart-healthy fats, high fiber and antioxidant content. Key is portion control, since they are high in calories. They also have many beauty benefits- smoother skin, hair and brighter eyes.
  4. Kiwis: one of the most nutritionally dense fruits... full of antioxidants and vitamins. Also a good source of fiber and potassium.
  5. Quinoa: (pronounced "keen-wa") one of the best whole grains you can eat. High in protein, iron and a good source of iron.
  6. Beans: loaded w/ soluble fiber, which keeps you full and helps rid your body of waste. Good low-fat source of protein. Edamame is especially good because they contain heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
  7. Salmon: high omega-3 fatty acid content, which help protect heart health.
  8. Broccoli: rich source of vitamin A, C and K and plenty of fiber.
  9. Sweet potatoes: the most nutrient rich veggie per pound you can buy. Loaded with vitamin A (beta-carotene) along with vitamin C, calcium and potassium.
  10. Berries: bursting with antioxidants, and low in calories. When in season they are super sweet, and can add lots of flavor without adding sugar. 
  11. Spinach: another powerhouse of nutrients and antioxidants. Helps fight inflammation and free radical damage- precursors to fine lines and wrinkles. Also swap other leafy greens such as kale, collard greens and swiss chard.

Eat up, ladies! ;)

Re: Do you eat these foods?

• imageNikCole:

So, which do you eat, which are you going to try and add into your diet, and which ones would you not touch?

1. Yogurt: I eat it pretty close to everyday (lowfat plain greek is my fave) Either in a shake, or w/ fruit and lowfat granola.
    2. Eggs: At least a few times per week... either a egg/eggwhite omelet for breakfast, or chopped hard-boiled on a salad, sometimes I'll just grab a hard-boiled egg if I'm pressed for time in the morning and need to eat on the go.
    3. Nuts: I snack on almonds a few days a week, and put pecans or walnuts in my oatmeal a lot.
    4. Kiwis: not something I eat normally, but I bought a few to put in fruit salad over the weekend. I just had one w/ my lunch and it was good... Evan loved it too. So I think I'll be buying them more often! I had no idea they were so good for me.
    5. Quinoa: (pronounced "keen-wa") love it! I substitute it for rice in a lot of recipes.
    6. Beans: could eat more of these. I do make black beans w/ mexican a lot.
    7. Salmon: I like it, but DH is so-so. We probably have it once every other month? Sometimes if I'm on my own for dinner I'll pick up a small piece and broil it for myself... should make H try it more often.
    8. Broccoli: love it. I put in in my eggs all the time, and we eat it steamed at least once a week as a side dish. It's Evan's favorite veggie!
    9. Sweet potatoes: yum! we don't eat white potatoes often, it's usually baked sweet potatoes on the grill. And I love them mashed w/ honey and chopped pecans in the fall/winter.
    10. Berries: I always have berries of some sort in the house, even if it's just frozen for smoothies.
    11. Spinach: I put baby spinach leaves in my smoothies, and in eggs. I also add it to my salads.

I feel good that I have at least tried all of these foods! 

• imageNikCole:
    1. Yogurt: Yes, but not as often as I should.
    2. Eggs: Yes, I usually make egg based breakfast dishes on the weekends.
    3. Nuts: Yes, but again not as often as I should.  I think I would have these and yogurt in the house more often if K was still here because she's really good about eating them.
    4. Kiwis: Absolutely!  And at $0.50 each how can I go wrong?
    5. Quinoa: Nope, I've had it but never cook it at home.
    6. Beans: Love Edamame! And eat a lot of other beans too.
    7. Salmon: Yes I eat it, but I don't cook it at home.
    8. Broccoli: Yup.
    9. Sweet potatoes: Nope
    10. Berries: Yes, but the price is killing me.
    11. Spinach: Love spinach salad. And I throw spinach in pasta dishes a lot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageNikCole:

I was reading an article in an old Women's Heath magazine about the top super foods women should eat. So I thought I'd share.... for all of us who are trying to get healthy and everyone else too. (we can all benefit from healthy choices!)

1. Yogurt: I eat yogurt, but not plain.  
    2. Eggs: Yes, especially on mornings when I am going to workout.
    3. Nuts: Yes, almonds, cashews, almond butter, pistachios.
    4. Kiwis: Yes, and luckily both girls love them!
    5. Quinoa: Have never tried it but want to. We do eat all whole grains and only do brown rice.
    6. Beans: Yep. Black beans, pintos, green beans usually.
    7. Salmon: Yes, probably once every couple of weeks but I should get it into our meal plans more..
    8. Broccoli: Love broccoli..
    9. Sweet potatoes: I don't like them. DH eats them though and so does Molly.
    10. Berries: LOVE. Any berry. We always have berries in our fridge.
    11. Spinach: I really don't care for it but am going to try it again. DH loves it and I put it in Chelsea's smoothies.

Eat up, ladies! ;)

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • wendyjwendyj member
    1. Yogurt: Yes, but not plain.
    2. Eggs: Sometimes on weekends
    3. Nuts: Love them, but I'm very bad at self-restraint - once I start, I can't stop! So, I try to limit how much I eat
    4. Kiwis: Love them, but don't think to buy them
    5. Quinoa: Haven't tried it
    6. Beans: If it happens to be in a recipe I'm making, but don't consciously put them in anything
    7. Salmon: Not often enough
    8. Broccoli: It's our go-to veggie
    9. Sweet potatoes: Not very often, but I do like them
    10. Berries: Any time I can get them. Had blueberries for a snack last night!
    11. Spinach: I love to make salads with this as the main green or in spring mix.
    1. Yogurt: I used to hate it.  Once I had dd I started eating it out of a necessity of needing something easy and 1-handed.  Now I still eat it a few times a week.  About 20% of the time (even non-preg) I can only get about half way thru the container before it gets to me and I start gagging.  I do better when I am eating it while doing something else and not thinking about it.
    2. Eggs: Yup, love them!
    3. Nuts: I eat peanuts, that's it though.
    4. Kiwis: Never had them.  You know what?  They seem like too much work for the amount of fruit you get.  I feel the same way about oranges.  If someone gave me one already peeled I would eat it though.
    5. Quinoa: Don't even know what this is
    6. Beans: Love beans.  Love the song too haha
    7. Salmon: Not very good at making it bc I don't know when it is done.  But I love ordering it a few times a year when we are at a restaurant that makes fish.
    8. Broccoli: Yup, I like this.  It is also one of the only veggies dh will eat, so we have it quite a bit.
    9. Sweet potatoes: I don't love it.  But will eat it when it is made and given to me (so like on Thanksgiving)
    10. Berries: LOVE berries.  Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, I am obsessed.  I buy them year round - but TMI - during the "in-season" when I get them cheap at local farms, I eat so much I give myself diarrhea and I still don't stop.  DH finds it disgusting how much I eat.  Back when I was pg with dd I had to limit myself to a Sams-club size container of blueberries A DAY.  And that didn't even count the other fruit I was eating.  I just can not stop.
    11. Spinach: Nope.  Although again....since having dd I will eat basically anything that is prepared and given to me.  I used to be so picky, but since having her I ate all the random casseroles and stuff people brought over that even spinach I can keep my mind on something else and get it down.
  • I eat everything on there except kiwi- it grosses me out for some reason.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I've tried and like pretty much everything on this list. But what, may I ask, is Quinoa? Is it sprinkled on like flax seed? Baked into breads? Curious minds want to know.

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

• Quinoa is kind of like couscous. I can't get into yogurt ... I just don't get enough out of it to waste all those calories. I like it if I am craving ice cream though. I eat everything else pretty regularly. Prob the least is sweet potato because it only actually tastes good with butter...or brown sugar or both :) We used to have a ton when I made the kids baby food but they never got into the chunks once they stopped purees. I took a break from kiwi after I tried a kiwi smoothie in Barcelona that was basically just warm pureed kiwi....I gagged so bad! Haha!
  • imagemissyjg:
    I've tried and like pretty much everything on this list. But what, may I ask, is Quinoa? Is it sprinkled on like flax seed? Baked into breads? Curious minds want to know.

it's a grain, that you cook in water... similar to rice. But it's smaller. It's really good, and has a bit of a nutty taste. I cook it in chicken or veggie stock to give it some flavor and then add whatever into it... Italian style w/ parm cheese and pesto, as a bed for stir-fry etc. You can basically use it like you'd use rice. If you have a Wegmans, they sell it in the bulk section (for cheap!) so you can try a little bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"