Military Families

Delivering off base- cost

Under Tricare standard, how much is the total cost of delivering and OB visits at an off-base hospital? I know it's different for every situation and how long you stay, but I'm getting mixed responses. Some people say it was $25 global fee altogether, some say $50 and some say 15-20% of the tricare negotiated cost. I am currently on prime looking to switch to standard (my base won't refer you off-base for OB care, but I don't feel comfortable there/driving the 40 minutes it takes to get there)

If I go to a hospital that is a network provider I know the cost is lower, but from your experiences- how much was your total hospital bill and monthly visits bill?

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Delivering off base- cost

• Thank you so much for your response. I'm trying to convince my husband to switch to standard to ease my mind about delivering. It's my first and I didn't have the best experience with base when I was having some rib/abdominal pain and went to the ER.

I'll only be at this duty station until October and the baby is due late September so I would switch back to Prime at our new duty station. I spoke with Tricare and they said there would be no lock-out period so hopefully after more research, the hubby will go with switching to standard. :)

• I paid $25 for the hospital stay. I did not pay anything for my monthly/weekly check ups. The only appointment I had a cost share on was the first one that confirms the pregnancy... that was like $60.
  • Loading the player...
  • I paid $63 for the delivery. That is the nightly room charge. I had a c-section so I got an extra night. I maybe paid $30 the entire pregnancy. I had to have extra blood work due to a thyroid issue. That was why I had to pay the extra money. Maternity care is covered 100%. You only have to pay if you have extra services.
  • I paid $114 after my deductible. It Was for 2 days for my failed induction then 5 days for my c section.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageSweetHurricane:
    I paid $25 for the hospital stay. I did not pay anything for my monthly/weekly check ups. The only appointment I had a cost share on was the first one that confirms the pregnancy... that was like $60.

This! I didnt pay a dime for not 1 OB appt...Sonograms included...(i had 4)

I had DD via C section....the total cost for my surgery and hospital stay was close to $18,000, I got a bill from tricare for $15.00....Id say thats fair...lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I did half my prenatal care at an MTF on prime and then decided to switch to Standard when we moved. I apparently didn't have all the lab tests done at the MTF that my new provider routinely does so I was charged $92 for my share of those labs. (I have a feeling something may not have been coded correctly but It was a small amount that I didn't feel like checking in to). Then for the delivery I paid something like $25 for the 24 hours I was there.
  • imageamandajeannine:

Thank you so much for your response. I'm trying to convince my husband to switch to standard to ease my mind about delivering. It's my first and I didn't have the best experience with base when I was having some rib/abdominal pain and went to the ER.

I'll only be at this duty station until October and the baby is due late September so I would switch back to Prime at our new duty station. I spoke with Tricare and they said there would be no lock-out period so hopefully after more research, the hubby will go with switching to standard. :)

I might be misunderstanding your post but you know your husband will not be switching to Standard. AD have to be Prime. You may already know that but just in case that is what is keeping him from agreeing, I thought I would let you know.

• imageshall923:
    imageamandajeannine:

Thank you so much for your response. I'm trying to convince my husband to switch to standard to ease my mind about delivering. It's my first and I didn't have the best experience with base when I was having some rib/abdominal pain and went to the ER.

I might be misunderstanding your post but you know your husband will not be switching to Standard. AD have to be Prime. You may already know that but just in case that is what is keeping him from agreeing, I thought I would let you know.

Yes, sorry. I meant him letting me switch! He's worried about the cost being different and didn't want me to switch until I researched everything. :)

• Our only cost was $50 after the delivery. I had a lot of u/s including a couple level IIs and they were all covered.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • $50.  That was the minimum overnight hospital charge for my room.

I didn't even have to pay my deductible.  I was under the impression from literature and experience that your deductible doesn't apply to OB care because it is one of the 100% covered items under Standard.  I had to pay toward my deductible AFTER I had my son when I had my IUD put in.  But not during my pregnancy at all.  If my experience is correct, the only charge you will have on Standard that you wouldn't have on Prime is the $25/night hospital room fee.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• BeachMBeachM member
    imagesweetpea2003:

$50.  That was the minimum overnight hospital charge for my room.

I didn't even have to pay my deductible.  I was under the impression from literature and experience that your deductible doesn't apply to OB care because it is one of the 100% covered items under Standard.  I had to pay toward my deductible AFTER I had my son when I had my IUD put in.  But not during my pregnancy at all.  If my experience is correct, the only charge you will have on Standard that you wouldn't have on Prime is the $25/night hospital room fee.

This, but I think our cost was $60 which included some of the food DH ordered.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"