Adoption

? about cost online...

I was looking at Reese's Rainbow and some kids have "$1200 towards the cost of my adoption" what does that mean? Someone has made a donation to that specific child and the adoptive parents only have to come up with the remainder?

ETA: and what does this mean: FACING IMMINENT INSTITUTIONALIZATION!

Re: ? about cost online...

• I have very limited experience with Reece's Rainbow (I've followed a few stories)... I am sure others can comment in a more precise and eloquent manner.

The site allows anyone to make a contribution to a particular child's case.  These contributions may attract a family who is willing to adopt but may not have all the money needed.  It's a way for people with shared passion to help children assist in getting them to forever families.

RE: institutionalism, here's a disturbing video-

https://farleykids.blogspot.com/2011/06/breaks-my-heart.html

Many countries will institutionalize DS kids (and probably many other sorts of disabilities) by a certain age if a family is not found for them.   These institutions are unbearable by our standards.

If you are interested in following a Reece's Rainbow family, the above blog is working on bringing home a little boy and the author often links up to other Reece's Rainbow stories.

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • In many countries, special needs children who are not adopted before a certain age (VERY YOUNG...for some reason I think it's supposed to be 6 or 7, but there are some children who are institutionalized even prior to that) get moved out of the orphanages and into adult institutions.  So basically, babies are being sent to adult mental hospitals where there needs aren't being met even to the extent they are in the orphanages.  Heartbreaking.

And pp is correct about the donations.

• Loading the player...
  • That's neat about the donations! And omg heartbreaking about the instuitions. :( I wish I had the $ and resources to save even ONE of those kids. They deserve so much better.
  • imageamiamish:
    That's neat about the donations! And omg heartbreaking about the instuitions. :( I wish I had the $ and resources to save even ONE of those kids. They deserve so much better.

If you have time to follow some of the blogs that are related to bringing these kids home, do so!  They often have fundraisers and fun ways to help.  I can't afford to help much but it's so rewarding to see these babies make it to their forever families.  

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"