February 2012 Moms

betas/progesterone question

good morning ladies,

This is my 2nd pregnancy this year since I m/c my first.  I saw my dr about a month before my BFP and she told me not to worry about my next pregnancy and that I wasn't high risk or anything, but it was probably a chromosomal problem.

So, when I called to make an appt, they made my appt for July 6th and didn't have me come in early for betas/progesterone or anything.

Should I call to try to get them done?  What usually causes low progesterone? I am ok with waiting until July 6th- I figure even if betas are done, it doesn't mean I can change anything whether or not they are doubling... but I hadn't thought of the progesterone issue.

thanks in advance!

BFP 2/14/11 MC 2/28/11 BFP #2- 6/12/11- Austin born 2/22/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: betas/progesterone question

• Did you have your progesterone tested after your m/c? Was it your first m/c? I know with us, they tested my progesterone with my first beta draw b/c this bfp was a surprise and very unexpected and it's standard procedure for my RE. But with my friends who have had m/c before, they don't usually do testing after the first m/c. However, I know a girl who asked her OB to test hers (it was her first m/c) and her progesterone was low. It might be worth it. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My RE's office has never told me my progesterone levels, but I've always been tested for betas/hCG soon after my BFP.  However, I don't know how my OB's office would handle that because I've only been pg while working with an RE.  I have heard other women having b/w done immediately, and I assume they are seeing an OB.  I would call back and ask if you can have a blood test to confirm the pregnancy and to see if your numbers double over 48 hours. 

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Justin + Laura 10.18.08
    TTC #1 09.10/Dx PCOS 12.10/BFP #1 12.29.10/EDD 9.10.11/Missed m/c 2.3.11/D&C 2.15.11
    “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”-Kahlil Gibran
    Cycle #1 4.2.11 + Clomid = BFN/Cycle #2 5.9.11 + Clomid + Trigger Shot = TWINS! 
    Walter Allen and Eleanor Joan 1.15.12
    Another baby on the way! 8.25.14

• Loading the player...
  • I had two miscarriages before they did betas. Low progesterone can cause a miscarriage. So, the first one they say "chromosomal" problem. After the second, they start to have other tests ran. I had them done with my son and they were perfect. This time, they said "I could if I wanted to" and I am glad I did because I needed progesterone supplements. But, there is no solid evidence that supplements even work.

If you want them done, you can ask for them. If you just spoke with the receptionist, ask to speak with a doctor or nurse. Explain to them your concern and I am sure they will let you. When I called, the receptionist tried to schedule me for six weeks out and I told her, "With my previous miscarriages, I always come in to have blood drawn early." I felt very VIP. Ha ha. Just kidding!

Our angel is in heaven 12/12/08
    BFP 2/25/09
    HCG 3/6=518 3/8=1230
    1st Ultrasound 3/18 FHR=103
    2nd U/S 3/20 FHR=118!!
    3rd U/S 4/1 FHR=169 :)
    BIG U/S 5/22=IT'S A BOY! FHR-148
    DS Born October 30, 2009
    BFP 5/27/11 Stick baby, stick!
    HCG 5/31=140 P=9 HCG 6/2=292 P=11
    1ST Ultrasound 6/15 FHR=109!!
    U/S 8/18=IT'S A BOY! FHR-141 :)
    DS Born January 20, 2012
    BFP 5/27/13 EDD 2-5-14
    U/S 8/17 FRH-141 It's a boy!!

• They didn't do any testing after my last m/c.  I do not see an RE, just an OB. Perhaps I will call today. Thanks!
    BFP 2/14/11 MC 2/28/11 BFP #2- 6/12/11- Austin born 2/22/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecaitlet425:
    Did you have your progesterone tested after your m/c? Was it your first m/c? I know with us, they tested my progesterone with my first beta draw b/c this bfp was a surprise and very unexpected and it's standard procedure for my RE. But with my friends who have had m/c before, they don't usually do testing after the first m/c. However, I know a girl who asked her OB to test hers (it was her first m/c) and her progesterone was low. It might be worth it. GL!

This.  I've had 2 m/c, so I'm with an RE now and they are watching EVERYTHING.  One of the signs of low progesterone is spotting.  I had super light spotting, but on the u/s my corpus luteum looked great and I had a nicely sized pregnancy cyst.  They thought my progesterone would be okay, and it was for several weeks before, but due to the spotting and my history they started me on suppositories anyway.  They tested my progesterone the same day and it was low, so they wre glad I started the supplements.  If you aren't having any spotting, I would try to relax and not worry about the progesterone.  It's very common to have a m/c and 60% of m/c are due to chromosomal issues. 

If you're really worried, I'd just call and ask to have it tested.  Tell them you're anxious and having it tested would put you at ease.  Once they hear that, they're usually willing to go ahead and test so you can have some peace of mind.

• I have problems with miscarriage, but my OB did not refer me to a RE until after my third.  They probably haven't requested them because one m/c is so common.  You can definitely call and request, that's exactly what I did with my second pregnancy.  They were very nice about it, and it gave me peace of mind.
  • I made an appointment- thanks girls!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"