Cloth Diapering

Yarn help!

Ok, I know next to nothing about yarn- the different types, what size item an oz will make, etc. All I know is that I'd want 100% wool to use over CD's. So, I saw this wool on HC and *love* the colors, those shades of green are my all time favorites.

https://hyenacart.com/pinkebody/st/3296/12621/Shattered-Classic-Merino-sport

(sorry it's not clicky, I'm on my iphone)

But, is the wool a decent quality? The right weight? Enough for longies/shorties? Can you tell from the picture how the longies would look- as in would the colors all mix together or would there be bands of colors- when it's knit into something?

Thanks in advance!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Yarn help!

• Sport is lightweight-ish so I would say better for shorties than longies but you could do longies if you wanted.  For shorties buy one skein, for longies buy two.  It is "superwash" which means you could put it in the washing machine if you wanted.  I have *heard* that superwash doesn't work as well for CD covers but I don't actually know.  (This makes sense to me though because with superwash they actually use some kind of crazy polymer to coat the outside of the wool strands so that they don't "stick" to one another which is what allows you to wash them in a machine without it felting.)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yoda is correct about everything!  Superwash does not work well for covers b/c of the coating.  You want a non-superwash yarn.  It needs to be 100% wool and handwash only :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageHis(1&only)wife:
    Yoda is correct about everything!  Superwash does not work well for covers b/c of the coating.  You want a non-superwash yarn.  It needs to be 100% wool and handwash only :)

Is it weird that when I read your post I felt like the teacher had put a gold star on my homework?  LOL. 

• imageyodasmistress:

imageHis(1&only)wife:
    Yoda is correct about everything!  Superwash does not work well for covers b/c of the coating.  You want a non-superwash yarn.  It needs to be 100% wool and handwash only :)

Is it weird that when I read your post I felt like the teacher had put a gold star on my homework?  LOL. 

This made me smile :)  Off topic did you get the email I sent a while back about the SP diaper?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageHis(1&only)wife:
    imageyodasmistress:

imageHis(1&only)wife:

This made me smile :)  Off topic did you get the email I sent a while back about the SP diaper?

I do not know... hmmm.... runs off to check...

• imageHis(1&only)wife:

Does it need to be 100% wool or just natural (animal) fibers?  Would a cashmerino or alpaca work?  Thanks, teach!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Amber
    TTC since March '06
    MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
    3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
    IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
    IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
    My IF Blog: Between the Lines
    My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama
  • Thanks ladies!! I'm disappointed that it's not the right type but glad I asked before I impulse bought. And lol about the gold star haha
  • imagesomethingchangd:

imageHis(1&only)wife:

Does it need to be 100% wool or just natural (animal) fibers?  Would a cashmerino or alpaca work?  Thanks, teach!

Ohh good question!

Wait, aren't they all wools, just different types? Alpaca hair is wool and the sheep that produce the super soft cashmere wool are all still producing wool, just different textures, etc? Im pretty sure I've seen some cashmere upcycled woolybottoms before...

• imagelaxchick60:
    Can you tell from the picture how the longies would look- as in would the colors all mix together or would there be bands of colors- when it's knit into something?
    Also, what about this part, is there something to look for or is it luck of the draw when buying yarn as to how it will look when knitted into something?
  • imagelaxchick60:
    imagesomethingchangd:

imageHis(1&only)wife:

Ohh good question!

Wait, aren't they all wools, just different types? Alpaca hair is wool and the sheep that produce the super soft cashmere wool are all still producing wool, just different textures, etc? Im pretty sure I've seen some cashmere upcycled woolybottoms before...

Well, cashmere comes from goats.  I guess I only consider yarn from sheep to be "wool" but I might be totally wrong on that.  (It drives me crazy when my DH refers to cotton or bamboo yarn as "wool".  Pet peeve!)

BabyFruit Ticker
    Amber
    TTC since March '06
    MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
    3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
    IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
    IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
    My IF Blog: Between the Lines
    My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama
  • imagelaxchick60:
    imagelaxchick60:
    Can you tell from the picture how the longies would look- as in would the colors all mix together or would there be bands of colors- when it's knit into something?
    Also, what about this part, is there something to look for or is it luck of the draw when buying yarn as to how it will look when knitted into something?

This is one of the many reasons why I love ravelry.com.  You can go look for a specific colorway of yarn, and see it knit up, and then decide if you still like it.   

Natalie 7.27.07/Lukas 5.29.09/Noah 3.4.11/Brooke 7.31.12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagerunnergirl79:

imagelaxchick60:
    imagelaxchick60:

This is one of the many reasons why I love ravelry.com.  You can go look for a specific colorway of yarn, and see it knit up, and then decide if you still like it.   

Interesting... I'll have to go check that out!
  • imagelaxchick60:
    imagesomethingchangd:

imageHis(1&only)wife:

Ohh good question!

I made some 100% alpaca shorties for S and they worked great.  I will say that they were really warm, and they shed like crazy, so I probably wouldn't pick alpaca again.  They did work, though.  And I know that people have used cashmere; I think it's not as common, which makes me think it's prone to pilling or felting, but I really don't know.  Could just be that it's more expensive.

• imageyodasmistress:

imageHis(1&only)wife:

Yes
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"