July 2011 Moms

XP:Birth story of Ava (wicked long...)

So I wanted to post this and share with you guys!. Here you go!

On Tuesday June 14th at about 6 pm, I went into BI (my hospital) per my OB's request to check out my headache I'd been having. When I arrived and went to nurse triage, my blood pressure was around 155/85 (ish). It wouldn't go down, after taking it a couple more times. Sometimes I get high BP when I am nervous or am just going to the doctor- but high for me is like 135/80. This was through the roof for me. Instead of going down, it would go to 114/102 (WTF???) or 160/90. That was enough for the OB on call to say the following word "You're 37.5 weeks. You're healthy otherwise. It's better for you and for the baby to induce you. We're going to start tonight." Well, I guess it was a good thing that I called MH before I left to go to BI and said, "Should I bring the hospital bag?" and his response was, "well, it can't hurt!" No kidding. I think deep down on my way there I knew this would be it.

So, fast forward to now about 10 pm on Tuesday night. I was still laying in triage (oh thank heavens for pre made sandwiches they had since that delightful tuna sandwich, potato chips, and graham crackers boxed lunch was our dinner...) and they inserted Cytotec to soften my cervix. After they checked me, I was about 1cm dialated. Nothing too much.

After telling our families to NOT show up because this was indeed going to be a long process (what we were thinking, oh somewhere around 20 hours ONCE I was ready to go)...my mother still showed up. Le sigh.Anyways, around 11, H and I were able to visit with her, and then finally got transferred into a private room for the night.

At 2:30 AM or so Wednesday morning, they inserted cytotec # 2. Around 4:30/5 AM, I started having really heavy period like cramps and the contractions were coming relatively close considering. So at 6:30, they monitored me for an additional hour, and checked my cervix again. This time 1.5cm dilated. So, a little progress and the new OB on call came in about an hour later and decided ok, let's now put you on Pitocin. Pitocin started about 8:30/9 AM on Wednesday morning, give or take.

Fast forward to 5 PM and about 3 internals later. No fvcking progress at all. Still 1.5cm dilated and 70% effaced. At this point in time, I basically lost it. My mother was in the room w/ MH and I and I was just fed up. I was having all of the contractions you would normally have, but NO progress? I remember just tearing up. I didn't like the OB on call, nor the things she was saying (basically saying if this doesn't work, we should consider c section, etc). She was saying the baby was too high to break my water, it was just one thing after another. I was annoyed at my mother for acting b!tchy to the nurse and the OB, and I think after some discussion, the OB realized how stressed and anxious I really was, "We're going to stop inducing you, since no progress is made; let you rest the night and reasses in the morning." Sigh.

So they transferred me to another floor and I got a sleeping pill (oh thank heavens) and slept the night.

They checked me Thursday morning, my blood pressure started at 126/80 (great, right?) well then it increased to 135/80 and then 145/90 and etc...the climb was there. Checked my cervix again, still about 1.5cm, but about 75% effaced. Ok, I'll take what I can get I thought. 

So, cytotec round 1 start over started about 8:45 on Thursday morning. A little before that, the new OB on call came in and I was thrilled because it was my OB's husband. I had a good feeling about this. He reassured me, this baby would be delivered. He's not sending me home, he's not considering any alternative delivery.

Got into new L & D room and after the 1 hour monitoring time when cytotec is inserted, they rechecked me. Not a hell of a lot of progress from earlier in the AM. Oh well. 

I'm going to fast forward now since this is getting lengthy...cytotec number 2 day 2 was inserted about 1 PM. Rechecked again about 2 pm. I *think* at this point there was no change again (UGH!!!!). But, contractions were definitely progressing. 5PM I got a third cytotec (I've never had so many people touching my whoo ha, BTW). By the 6 PM cervix check- HALLELUJAH. I was now 2 CM!

So MH and I had dinner, and I wanted to shower. So we walked to our other room on the other floor (that they graciously saved for us since we'd been in I think 5 rooms not including triage, had seen 7 or 8 nurses, 4 different residents, and 3 OBs on call by this point..) and I remember having a lot of pressure. When we got back to the L & D room, I walked to the bed and remember feeling like I needed to stretch my back. This was about 7 PM. So I bent over the bed to stretch my lower back and then it happened...I looked down and looked at MH and was like "Holy crap...I think my water just broke?!" And he was like OMG OMG OMG...so we page the nurse, she confirmed it was my water breaking.

At 7:30 my contractions started getting hella bad. But what did I know!? So MH started timing them and I was not getting a break. They were strong as hell, and about 1-2 minutes apart. I screamed epidural. So my favorite person at BI, the anestiologist came in. He started prepping my back and of course because my damn contractions were 1.5 minutes apart we had to break every 2 minutes for me to breathe through them. Now it is about 8:30. Oh for the love of god I thought..Finally he was able to finish (and apparantly I have some scoleosis, lovely). But now the epidural took a while to actually kick in. Finally about 9:30, I felt some relief. 

I remember feeling calm and MH and I were just shooting the sh!t and talking. They checked me at 10 pm. I went from 2 cm to 6 cm. Whooohooo!!! They checked me again about 1:30 AM on Friday morning. I was now 9 cm!!! At 3 AM, the nurse, resident, and a med student came in to start setting up. They checked me, and the baby was at position 2. Oh and besides the labor shakes, I FELT NOTHING AT ALL. I love epidurals.

I started pushing at 3:50 or so, and at 4:08 on Friday the 17th, Little Ava was born. 5 lbs 11 ounces; 18 and 3/4 inches. With a Full.Head.Of.Hair!

We spent nearly 5 days in the hospital, and the end result was amazing. We're home now getting settled. Her first night was great. She only woke up once (although I woke up a ton; I kept checking on her...)! 

And here are a couple of photos of her for you :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP:Birth story of Ava (wicked long...)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"