Upstate NY Babies
Options

Albany ladies - possible relocating - any help would be appreciated

Hello!

So, DH and I currently live in the Binghamton area, but we are potentially moving to the capital district in the next month or so.  He has been offered a job in Bennington, VT, and I've got some interviews in the Troy, NY area (collegesuniversities).

For any ladies that live that way, I would love some advice on childcare or places to live?  I have a ton of family that lives that way, but I've never spent a significant amount of time in Troy or the towns between there and the Bennington, VT area.  

Any help you could give would be very much appreciated.  TIA!

Re: Albany ladies - possible relocating - any help would be appreciated

• Options

Well honestly there isn't much between the two towns...you could look into Brunswick or Hoosick. One caution, that area is Rensselaer County and the taxes are very high. You can probably find a very affordable home without figuring in the taxes though. Both areas are small rural towns. Personally, I would avoid Troy itself. Very rundown in a lot of areas and the schools aren't the best. Lots of crime, also.

I SAH so I can't help with the childcare aspect, sorry!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    wendyjwendyj member

Brunswick would be a good option for living - Route 7 runs right through it, so it would be easy for your DH. Rensselaer county does have pretty high taxes, so you may want to consider renting for a while until you definitely know where you'd like to live. They do have some nice apartment complexes out that way.

https://www.ocfs.state.ny.us/main/childcare/looking.asp

This is the site that really helped me when I needed to find childcare. It's all of the state licensed facilities - daycare or in-home. You plug in the zip code, and it will tell you what's around. It will at least give you an idea of what's out there.

Good luck on the move! Feel free to stop by the board whenever!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have any advice but there are a couple of ladies here in the Binghamton area as well if you'd like to GTG before you move!
    DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11
  • Options

You could live in Troy however, the other towns/cities are just as accessable.....Albany, Guilderland, Bethlehem/ delmar- they might add a little time to your commute but you can find some great houses/schools, etc.

I also SAH so I am no help with the childcare 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We live in Troy. I love it! We like city living though. Taxes (at least ours) are on par with Albany. Schools aren't super though. I have to say there is a lot to do here, and while there may be some "run down" blocks, I find it way more interesting than living in a vanilla suburb. Brunswick is also nice and they have decent schools. As for childcare, I am no help. Since DH and I work in Albany, our center is there. GL with your move!
  • Options
    I disagree with the pp who posted the negative reviews of Troy.  It's a great small city with a lot to offer.  It's been undergoing a revitalization in the last few years and it's really on the upswing.  It's probably going to depend on whether you want urban, suburban, or rural living.  The farther east you go out, the more rural it will be!
  • Options

I grew up partially in Troy and Brunswick!  I love Brunswick.  It is mostly a rural area, with affordable living and lots of land.  My father lived near the Tom Hannock Reservoir which is in Pittstown NY, and it is such a nice, quiet area!  It is also a good point between Bennington and Troy.  Tamarac schools are decent.  

There are also nice parts of Troy.  North Troy is very neighborhood oriented.  I have also lived in South Troy, and probably wouldn't do it again.  I am not a fan of Troy City schools though.  Depending on where you are in Troy to Bennington is still a little bit of a drive.  Albany County areas would be even longer.  Not sure how long you are wiling to commute.  To me, the Brunswick area would be a better bet.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Blogs

https://littlebirdconfections.wordpress.com/

https://heismightyquinn.wordpress.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"