April 2011 Moms

Don't know what to think

So I just found out my nephew is in the ER and might need emergency surgery. My mom was baby sitting today and somehow (not sure on the details) my nephew cut the inside of his mouth while trying to drink from the faucet, he is 10 months old. My mom saw he was bleeding a bit but it stopped, she fed him lunch and put him down for his nap. When he woke up his tongue was swollen and he had a blood clot in his mouth. The hospital put in a breathing tube until they can make sure his tongue is not blocking his airway. We still don't know exactly what he cut. The trouble I have is that my mom does a great job of watching the kids (10 month and 2 month) but I don't want something like this to happen to my son. Should I just not worry about it because *** happens or should I mention I am worried to my mom... Don't want to hurt her feelings and make her think she doesn't do a good job.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Don't know what to think

• Only you can decide if you're comfortable with her watching your child or not but I would tend to think that sometimes things happen.  Unless you actually plan to have her no longer watch your baby I don't think bringing up the fact that you are worried will help, at least not right now.  I am sure she feels absolutely horrible already.  If you later find out more details that make it seem like maybe she did something you are uncomfortable with then maybe bring it up with the specific action you didn't like.  I hope your nephew can avoid surgery and everything is okay.
  • Thanks. I know my LO cant live in a bubble but I can't even I imagine if I was in the same situation as my sister, she was very strong! My nephew did have surgery in his mouth, the dr said he cut behind his teeth under his tongue almost all the way down to his chin! He won't have any scars on the outside and he should learn to talk just fine so we are all happy for that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If it were me, I'd let it go. I'm sure she feels horrible about it. Things happen and it's impossible to prevent every accident. I hope your nephew recovers quickly!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • image*K:
    Only you can decide if you're comfortable with her watching your child or not but I would tend to think that sometimes things happen.  Unless you actually plan to have her no longer watch your baby I don't think bringing up the fact that you are worried will help, at least not right now.  I am sure she feels absolutely horrible already.  If you later find out more details that make it seem like maybe she did something you are uncomfortable with then maybe bring it up with the specific action you didn't like.  I hope your nephew can avoid surgery and everything is okay.

Yes

• imageschenkertobe:
    If it were me, I'd let it go. I'm sure she feels horrible about it. Things happen and it's impossible to prevent every accident. I hope your nephew recovers quickly!

This. Something like this could have just as easily happened at home. Kids randomly cut themselves on things all the time.. the bloodclot developing sounds like it was just a freak thing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"