Upstate NY Babies
Options

Teeth-WWYD

T's one big upper front tooth and the one next to it have been halfway down for quite some time now...I'd say we're heading towards a year that they've been in that position. They look like teeth that are coming in....but yet they never came fully down. The other big front tooth and one next to that one are fully in and look fine and her 4 bottom front teeth are all in and look ok too. We've asked 3 of the Dr's at her Ped office and they all tell us not to worry about it, but our parents keep bugging us about it and are very concerned. They think we should take her to a pediatric dentist. I was at our dentist last night and explained the situation to her to get her thoughts. She said the only thing she can think of from what I described is that they were compacted from a fall she might have had. But I told her to our knowledge she's never hit her mouth when she's fallen and none of the falls she's ever had have caused any trauma to her mouth...never any bleeding or swelling,etc. She said if they had been impacted they wouldn't have even come through as far as they have. She said we could take her for a consult at a Pediatric Dentist but that the only way they are probably going to be able to know for sure what's going on is by x-ray. She said if they were compacted for some reason that they would stay like that until they fell out and she got her adult teeth in.

So what would you do? Would you wait it out a bit longer and see what they do? Would you go get the pediatric consult and x-ray? I just worry about her having an x-ray at such a young age and then I worry that she'll get picked on once she starts school if her teeth are still like that.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Teeth-WWYD

• Options
    wendyjwendyj member
    Is she covered by your dental insurance? If so, then it wouldn't hurt to have a consult with the pediatric dentist. I'm pretty anal when it comes to teeth (both DS's and my own), so that's probably what I'd do just so I could have some peace of mind.
  • Options
    I'd take her in.  if she is on your dental than it's a free appt anyway
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Unfortunatley she's not yet on our Dental Insurance because I didn't think we'd be needing it yet. I do have HRA $$ that I think I could use. But I'm thinking the cost for a ckup and x-ray is going to be crazy crazy expensive.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i wouldn't think it would be expensive b/c there are always new patient specials for $79. i just looked at ethan's consult visit and cleaning and it was $105
  • Options

Here's the thing.....what would they do?  Did the dentist say that if it was compacted, there was anything to do about it?  I think it is highly unlikely that she had a bad enough fall to affect her teeth that you guys would not have noticed or seen the swollen lips/blood from afterwards.  I think some kids teeth just take a while to get their teeth in and it is possible that it is just not fully in yet. 

If it were dd, I would make an appointment for her for the beginning of January 2012, and get her added on the dental insurance during open enrollment this December.  If it seems to be bothering her, or something else is going on with her mouth, I would take her in before that.  But otherwise, I would just make an appointment for as soon as she is covered and ask then.

• Options
    If it were my DD... I would bring her into a pediatric dentist just to take a quick film and see whats going on. If you are concerned about the fees... I would suggest trying University of Buffalo's Pediatric Clinic. Dental schools usually are about half the price (if not more!) than a private dentist. It's possible the tooth could just be slow at growing , maybe impacted, maybe ankylosis or maybe something else. Ankylosis basically means the tooth is stuck to the bone and may not come down. I think ankylosis in baby incisors is pretty rare. If they take an x ray, they would be able to see how much of the root has grown compared to the adjacent tooth.. just to get an idea on how much root has formed and how much that tooth has developed. I'm not a pediatric dentist, so I'm not sure of any other causes for the tooth not to erupt on it's own. I always refer to the experts!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"