LGBT Parenting

ct

imagectbride08:

1) We're gonna have to add RB to the 'operation chubby cheeks' club.  She went from not gaining anything from 15 to 18 months to actually losing weight in the past month. oy

I have an extra, unopened container of powdered whole milk, if you want it. We add a scoop to each of Gwen's sippy's of (breast)milk. No more volume for her to drink, but extra calories and fats. 

It came in a two-pack, and it will take us forever to finish both!! Let me know if you want it and I can get it in the mail tomorrow. 

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...

Re: ct

• aww, thanks :) 

unfortunately cow's milk exacerbates her eczema so we have to pass.  She's on a coconut/soy milk combo now.  coconut milk is super high in fat/calories so you wouldn't think she'd be losing weight on it, but alas...

• I'm asking this in a really honest non-snarky way (but I know it might read snarky which is why the disclaimer).

What is the purpose of loading a child up with extra fat and calories? I realize you don't want your DDs to lose too much weight, but educate me.  What's the reasoning behind trying to get them to pack on pounds? Would it be better to have them eat larger portions of regular foods rather than increase fat intake? I understand that body needs fat, etc (I took plenty of nutrition classes in college) but I'm trying to understand this method of increasing a child's weight.  Is it fat specifically that they need or just extra weight?

And FWIW I was surprised at LOs 1 year appt that the doctor wasn't concerned about her weight but I have a feeling at the next check up the doctor might think she warrants her own operation chubby cheeks. 

So educate me please.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Two-  Fats and proteins are particularly important for growth in particular brain growth.  Also when you have a kid that is having trouble gaining it is really hard to increase volume.  It is really a matter of making every bite or sip have as many calories as possible and fats are have the highest cal./volume ratio.  Carbs just don't pack as much punch.  Fruits and veggies are just not high enough in calories and fat in particular.  There are serious consequences for fft if not dealt with effectively so drs want to turn weight loss in a toddler as fast as possible.  In our case since E was a low birth weight for her gestation (the size of a 27 weeker at 30 weeks) baby she is more at risk for things so our dr is more aggressive with trying to get her to gain weight.  If it was as easy as just getting them to eat more then it wouldn't be a problem but you just can't force them to eat and it only gets more difficult as they become picky toddler eaters.
  • I was kind of curious about this too - your explanation makes perfect sense ssg!
    Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagessg73:
      Also when you have a kid that is having trouble gaining it is really hard to increase volume.  It is really a matter of making every bite or sip have as many calories as possible and fats are have the highest cal./volume ratio. 

There are serious consequences for fft if not dealt with effectively so drs want to turn weight loss in a toddler as fast as possible.  

If it was as easy as just getting them to eat more then it wouldn't be a problem but you just can't force them to eat and it only gets more difficult as they become picky toddler eaters.

this, this, and this :)

RB is welcome to eat as much as she wants...unfortunately the volume she eats isn't enough to keep her weight on so we have to chub up what does get in her.

and since she was already dxed as FTT as an infant, losing weight as a toddler is of particular concern.

• imagessg73:
    Two-  Fats and proteins are particularly important for growth in particular brain growth.  Also when you have a kid that is having trouble gaining it is really hard to increase volume.  It is really a matter of making every bite or sip have as many calories as possible and fats are have the highest cal./volume ratio.  Carbs just don't pack as much punch.  Fruits and veggies are just not high enough in calories and fat in particular.  There are serious consequences for fft if not dealt with effectively so drs want to turn weight loss in a toddler as fast as possible.  In our case since E was a low birth weight for her gestation (the size of a 27 weeker at 30 weeks) baby she is more at risk for things so our dr is more aggressive with trying to get her to gain weight.  If it was as easy as just getting them to eat more then it wouldn't be a problem but you just can't force them to eat and it only gets more difficult as they become picky toddler eaters.

Thanks! I definitely understand the importance of fat vs. other types of caloric intake. This explanation makes sense because although probably worded poorly the core of my questions was whether DDs need fat in particular or just weight gain.

• Late returning, but I couldn't have said it any better then SSG anyway!

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"