South Carolina Babies

Moving to Charleston this summer...

So, my husband and I have decided to relocate from NY to Charleston, SC. There are many reasons for this, but a short list is: finanially it makes sense, Long Island is not longer a good palce to raise a family, and we had over a foot of snow on the ground for a month and a half.

Anyway, we just went to down to check it out, look at neighborhoods, and we fell in love with the area, the people, the FOOD. It helps that we have a couple that moved there a few years ago to show us around. But, they had their son in NC, so they did not have much advice in terms of hospitals and such.

I was hoping that some of you had opinions on local hospitals and ob/gyns. We are thinking that John's Island and West Ashley may be where we wind up.

We are returning in April to speak to doctors and look at hospitals, so I would love to have a few names of doctors by then. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Moving to Charleston this summer...

• I LOVE my OB/Gyn, but I'm in Mt Pleasant (where, coming from CA, I love so much more than West Ashley--and that's another story). I see Dr. Stickler at East Cooper Women's Center (which is MUSC related, so now being pregnant with multiples I see the MUSC docs downtown). But I really love the office over here and 2 brand new hospitals nearby. If you can, I recommend living downtown for a little while, renting a place, and learning what area you like the best. I had the chance to live downtown for 3 months while my husband was still working out of state, and I got to know the area well and really learn where we fit in and what suited out lifestyle. 
  • I second East Cooper. I saw Natalie Gregory at LowCountry OBGYN and love her. I have also heard good things about Kate White at the same clinic as well as both of the midwives in the practice.

I like Mt P. West Ashley is a little more affordable to live in. It really depends on what you are looking for with regard to people and location. 

John's Island is a bit too rural for my taste. I'd do some driving around and see if you can see yourself living out there. 

Where will the jobs be? That would be my deciding factor in choosing a place to live. 

• Loading the player...
  • I've only heard great things about East Cooper, the hospital is really nice.  I delivered at Trident in North Charleston on emergency basis and everyone was great. The hospital is older unlike East Cooper.  

I love Mt. Pleasant, if you plan to use public schools you will definitely want to do some research. That was a top factor in our decision on where to live.

Charleston is beautiful, I moved from D.C. and miss a few things but I really love it here! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I live on Johns Island, and delivered in West Ashley.  My doctor was Dr. Dillon at Charleston Ob-Gyn in West Ashley, and she was AWESOME!  I had a difficult pregnancy with some pre-term labor scares, and I couldn't have asked for more from her during those scary times. 

I delivered at St. Francis, which is right down the road from their office buildings, and the delivery rooms were nice. 

Good luck, and hope you enjoy Charleston!

• I moved from NYC and live down town Charleston for 5 years now. Love CHS--for all the reasons you stated and more. I am a walking girl so love to be downtown and have access to everything. Of course to buy a home downtown is insane but if you are considering renting for a while I would certainly look into staying downtown and making the most of your new city.

I also go to MtP for my doc appts and will deliver at the new East Cooper Medical Center. My OB is Dr. Pound and she is in the same office as Stickler mentioned above (who I have also heard good things about) Their practice is East Cooper Women's Center.

In terms of next moves- we also plan to head to Mt P when we go into a bigger place for schools and because we like what that part of town has to offer.

• Ladies thank so much for all the good advice. We are going to be coming back in April, so we will be getting the know the area a little better as well as looking at some hospitals and doctors.
  • I am a native Charlestonian so I say welcome to our city. I live in West of the Ashley and I have never lived in any other part of the city. I would recommend the new East Cooper, which is where I will deliver. My Dr's name is Loren Frankel MD, she has her own practice named Palmetto Women's Health. I love Dr. Frankel because she has very little patients and she makes it her business to get to know you personally. You see the same staff every time you go and the visits aren't rushed. You get her undivided attention as you're walking in another patient is leaving she never has more than 1 patient at a time. I love her so far and I could not have made a better choice to deliver my baby.

PS stay clear of MUSC women's health :-( bad experience with them and the lack of personal relationship with the drs/midwife!

Computer HopeBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I?m also a Charleston native and want to say welcome to the best city in the world! :-) John?s Island is starting to become more developed, but still has a calmer, quiter, more country feel. West Ashley is a good place to live too. I grew up on James Island, also an amazing place :-) I recommend Low Country OBGYN, I have seen both Dr. White and Dr. Wilson (both female) and I liked them both. Good luck to you and your family and I hope you enjoy your life in Charleston!

BFP #1 4/22/10 MC 5/5/10 (6w4d) EDD 12/25/10
    BFP #2 10/19/10 CP 10/27/10 (4w6d) EDD 6/30/11
    BFP #3 5/10/11 Lucas Abelardo born 12/29/11 at 37w3d
    BFP #4 12/10/12 MMC 1/14/13 (9w3d) D&C 1/15/13 EDD 8/16/13 

BFP #5 8/22/13 Lucia Elizabeth born 4/17/14 at 38w

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I haven't had a baby yet, but I wanted to add my opinion too...I love Kate White also...and plan East Cooper in MT P for delivery as well!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I also moved down here from the north (New Jersey). I use Dr. Pound at East Cooper Women's Center and love her so far!

• I moved here last summer from Milwaukee and I've been seeing Dr. Stickler at East Cooper Women's Center.  She is fantastic and so is everyone else in the office.  I'm really happy with my decision to go there :)
  • I was very interested in an intervention free birth, a personal experience, breastfeeding support, a natural birth, and knowing exactly who would deliver my baby.  I chose to have my daughter at Charleston Bith Place.  It is a fully accredited midwife owned/operated birth center 3 min from Trident Hospital.  I loved it!  I would go tour it - they do tours on Thursday nights I believe and I can't imagine ever having a baby anywhere else.  If you are low risk and want a very personal experience please look into them. I can't sing enough of their praises.  11 months later my daughter and I are still breastfeeding also - and I work full time - and I believe it is a large part of the support I received there.  They have a nurse check on you weekly for 6 weeks after your baby is born, you get to go home several hours after birth, instead of days, and I am never seperated from my baby.  Judy and Lesley are wonderful.

Good luck Mama! I live in Hanahan but it is due to work proximity.  Charleston is wonderful! I have lived here a few years and LOVE IT!

• I was very interested in an intervention free birth, a personal experience, breastfeeding supports, a natural birth, and knowing exactly who would deliver my baby.  I chose to have my daughter at CHarleston Bith Place.  It is a fully accredited midwife owned/operated birth center 3 min from Trident Hospital.  I loved it!  I would go tour it - they do tours on Thursday nights I believe and I can't imagine ever having a baby anywhere else.  If you are low risk and want a very personal experience please look into them. I can't sing enough of their praises.  11 months later my daughter and I are still breastfeeding also - and I work full time - and I believe it is a large part of the support I received there.  They have a nurse check on you weekly for 6 weeks after your baby is born, you get to go home several hours after birth, instead of days, and I am never seperated from my baby.  Judy and Lesley are wonderful.

Good luck Mama! I live in Hanahan but it is due to work proximity.  Charleston is wonderful! I have lived here a few years and LOVE IT!

• Dr. Kate White all the way!!! LowCountry OBGYN
  • I too am a Lowcountry OBGYN fan. Have seen almost every doctor there...Dr. White, Dr. Gregory, Dr. Evans-they are all amazing and are a great team. Anything I needed while pregnant all I had to do was call. Additionally, they have a nurse specifically for pregnant women - Katie Gibson - she is a Godsend. And East Cooper Regional was a wonderful place to deliver. They've got it together! 

Good luck with the move! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"