Birth Stories

My Natural Homebirth Story

Short Birth Story (written right after birth):

Lillian Helen arrived via a home water birth on July 23rd (exactly 3 weeks late) after 40 hours of active back labor and 3 1/2 hour of pushing. She was 9 pounds 15 oz and 22 1/2 inches long and is perfect! Labor was long because she was posterior (they could see her butt sticking out of my back early on), so we had to wait for her to turn to a better position. The MW were amazing- they arrived about 6 hours into labor and were here the entire time. They never told me my dilation because it would have just discouraged me (I was at 6 for 10 hours and then at 9 for 10 hours), and just focused on helping me turn the baby through various positions. Also, I had these wicked long contractions that were called "turning contractions," and all I can say is thank goodness for endorphins!! Amazingly Lily handled labor perfectly- her heart rate never went down in all 40 hours, she came out pink and screaming and got 10/10 on her Apgars. She had a cone head and a mark on her head where it was obvious that she tried to come out several different times (in different positions), but both of those faded. I did end up with a 3 degree tear (her head was 14.5 inches around) with 8 stitches which really sucks, but am feeling much better now after 2 weeks.

Long Birth Story (written at 8 weeks PP):

This birth story might seem a bit disjointed at times- but that is pretty much how I felt while in labor. I am writing my story mostly from memory, but also include info from other parties involved and from the notes kept by my midwives.

I went into labor early in the morning of July 22nd 2008. I was by one count 42 weeks and 6 days pregnant, and by another count about 42 weeks and 2 days- either way, I was way past 40 weeks and it had been a rough couple of weeks for Scott and I as we tried desperately to avoid all the negativity and fear that comes along with not being induced for date reasons. We knew that there was no reason to think that Lily was at risk because our midwife was constantly monitoring the baby and myself, but it is hard to not doubt yourself when you are constantly being bombarded with skepticism. I think what got us thought was knowing that for as many folks who doubted us, there were just as many that supported our path. We know that if we had given into the negativity and gone with a hospital birth, I would have ended up with a c-section for a number of reasons- failed induction, posterior baby, long labor, and the fear of a ?big baby.? We just want to say thank you for those comforting visits, emails, posts on our blog, my myspace and facebook. It really helped us get through that tough time, stay strong and in the end have the most gentle birth possible for us and Lily.

I was awoken around 2:15 am on Monday July 28 with a bad back pain and I got up and headed to the bathroom because I thought I needed to use the bathroom. When I wiped in the bathroom I realized I had some bloody show. Other than some wimpy Braxton hicks since 34 weeks, this was the very first time I had seen anything that I knew to be a concrete sign of labor and I was super excited. I even yelled to Scott about it. I got up, walked over to the bed and asked Scott if he thinks we should call Kelley our midwife or wait until morning to tell her. As I sat down on the bed I felt a gush and ran back to the bathroom. I wasn?t sure if it was my water or just urine (these things happen in late pregnancy), so I wiped- more show- and headed back to bed. I tried to sit down again and the same thing happened. At that point Scott and I knew it was my water. I went to wake up my Mom (who had been there since Thursday to offer support and act as a distraction) and then we called Kelley.?

At this point I had already had a few contractions- all in my back and we realized that they were coming constantly at around 5 minutes apart. Since my fluid were clear and Lily was moving around happily in there, Kelley suggested we go back to bed, try to get some sleep and call her around 7 am. Well, I tried to rest, but with the already pretty painful contractions coming 5 minutes apart, lying in the bed was not relaxing at all. Eventually we gave up and got up at 5:30 am. Scott started right away setting up the birthing tub because it would take hours to fill it and I took a shower and just hung out, walking around contracting until Kelley got there. Soon afterwards Dina and later on Za?Yn, Kelley?s assistant midwives arrived. They were all there to stay until well after Lily was born. Scott and I felt very blessed to have so much knowledge and support.

After checking me, Kelley informed me that the baby was not in a great position for delivery and we were going to have to work on trying to get her to turn by laboring in different positions. Kelley never said the words posterior to me, but that is what she was talking about. This is the reason I had back labor and why labor was so long- we had to wait for her to turn.?

And that is what I did for almost all of the 40 hours. I labored, and labored, and labored. I labored in the birth tub, sitting on the birth ball in the shower while Scott sprayed my back with very hot water, with my head down and butt up on the bed, standing in the bedroom, kitchen, living room, etc. Sometimes my contractions were close together and sometimes they spaced out. Some of them were very long- Kelley said those were the turning contractions- the ones that were turning Lily to the right position. I knew they were long, but had no idea how long until Scott and my Mom told me some seemed to last 15 minutes. Scott was there the whole time (except for a couple of hours here or there when Kelley made him take a nap). He spent so much time crouched over rubbing my back that he had back pain for a week after the birth. At one point our wonderful chiropractor came over to the house (on her own free time) and gave both Scott and I a quick adjustment.

The midwives never told me what I was dilated (even though I asked). Kelley just said that dilation is not that important, and that getting the baby to the right position was what we needed to focus on. Well, I am glad she never told me because I guess I spent 10 hours at 6 and then another 10 hours at 9. Knowing this would have totally discouraged me. I also never looked at a clock. I knew that labor had been long, but had no idea how long until after Lily was born. Again, knowing this would have discouraged me.

Finally late on Wednesday I started feeling different. Nothing that had helped with the pain before was working anymore. I got out of what seemed like my millionth shower and cried that I couldn?t do this anymore. The midwives were thrilled because that was a sign that things were progressing and that I was most likely in transition. Of course they didn?t tell me this- they just told me I could do it, everything was fine, I was doing great, etc.?

At that point I got into the tub and floated on my back. I stayed that way for a long time. I had started feeling contractions in the front (normal ones I guess) on top of the back labor, which sucked but was a good sign because it meant that Lily was in a good position. During this time I laid as still as I could and moaned through the contractions- that was all I could do at that point. Most of the time it helped. Sometimes it didn?t. I am pretty sure the times it didn?t help was when I was feeling the urge to push and was not responding. I just didn?t know what it was at first.?

Once I got it and started pushing I felt SO much better. Yes, pushing hurt (especially at the end), but it still felt better than just plain labor. I pushed for about 3 ? hours (the average for a first time Mom according to Kelley). It was hard, but I was SO done with being in labor and very determined to get her out.?

As Lily was crowning, Kelley told Scott to get ready to catch the baby. She asked him if he wanted to touch the head, which he did, until I yelled at him to stop. She then asked my Mom if she wanted to touch the head and my Mom looked at my face, and promptly said no. LOL?

Scott didn?t end up getting the tub with me since I was spread out, but he did catch his daughter when she was born at 8:28 pm on Wednesday, July 23rd. He put her on my chest and we looked our daughter for the first time. The first two things I noticed was that she had quite a bit of dark hair (not what I expected) and long feet. I was oblivious to her size, but everyone else couldn?t stop talking about it.?

She was wide-eyed and very pink. She looked really pissed off and let out a few short cries. It was so weird because although I thought I would cry, I didn?t. I just looked at her. At one point I check to make sure she was a girl. I didn?t notice much else, but I do know my Mom was crying (big surprise- LOL), Scott was sitting just over my shoulder, and the midwives were all buzzing around doing what they do after a birth.

A bit later Scott cut the cord and took Lily into his arms so I could get out of the tub and checked-out by Kelley. He didn?t let her go for a long time, He just kept walking around the house with her, talking to her, bringing her to me so I could look at her. After Kelley was done with me and I breastfed Lily for the first time, they took her upstairs for her infant exam. She got 10/10 on her Agars and was 9 pounds 15 oz and 22 inches long- a big girl just as they said.

At the end of the day I was tucked in bed, eating a quiche (thanks to my friend Aimee for making it!), with my baby and my husband. Though the recovery days ahead would be rough, that moment was perfect.

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

Re: My Natural Homebirth Story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"