Upstate NY Babies

Mat for sleeping at daycare?

Liam starts daycare a week from today, and ofcourse I'm waiting until the last minute.  I have to bring something for him to nap on.  I am freaking out about this because he has ALWAYS napped in a crib.  I'm not sure he will understand that he needs to lay down and rest in a room full of toys and other kids.  Makes me want to cry just thinking about it.  Anyways...the daycare person told me other kids nap on a yoga mat or something like that but it seems like it would still be pretty hard.  Have you seen anything out there?  Or what does your LO use at daycare?

Re: Mat for sleeping at daycare?

• You can buy mats from daycare supply companies.  A quick froogle search shows lots of different types (here).   It might not be here by next week but it might be worth looking into.  FWIW, when I worked daycare we spent a lot of time sitting with the kids on the floor, rubbing their backs, and just making sure they understood that mat time was quiet time.  It might take a day or two but I'm sure Liam will get the hang of it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTwo*True:

when I worked daycare we spent a lot of time sitting with the kids on the floor, rubbing their backs, and just making sure they understood that mat time was quiet time.  It might take a day or two but I'm sure Liam will get the hang of it.

Thank you!  and thanks for this!  He's just at "that age" and i'm nervous about him getting upset when she tries to get him to lay down.  He would just keep going all day if I didn't make him lay down in his crib you know?  She said she would work him since all the other kids have been with her for awhile and know the routine.

• Loading the player...
  • The fact that the other children know the routine is a great thing because he'll have peers modeling the appropriate the behavior.  Good luck!
  • wendyjwendyj member
    I had that same worry when Ian started DC, but like Two said, the other kids were a model for him and he just followed along. Besides, he'll probably be so exhausted from the activities in his room that it won't take him long to fall asleep. Hope he has a good first week! 
  • Our daycare provides cots so I can't help with that but when Belle moved up to toddler room I was really worried about her actually sleeping on the cot. She did great her first day in the room. She watched all the other kids get on their cots and followed them. Her teachers do sit and rub their backs for a little bit to help them sleep. Belle is usually the first one asleep and sleeps close to three hours.

I am sure he will do just fine. He may be so tired from all the new activities he may fall asleep right away.
  • I was worried about this too but yeah, they just follow the other kids when they turn out the light and are tired out by nap and go with it.  I also was worried how she would do sleeping in a crib at home and for home naps and there was no issue at all.  Our DCP provides cots and I've only seen nap mats that are essentially blankets not the foam ones so I'm no help there.  Good luck- I bet he'll do great!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"