New York Babies
Options

Experience with NYU Medical Center?

Has anyone given birth at NYU?  I've checked out their website and plan to take a tour but would like to hear people's personal experiences. 

Thanks!

BabyFetus Ticker image

Re: Experience with NYU Medical Center?

• Options

i had my son at nyu in 2008.  i would give it a c+/b-.  my baby was breech and so i had a c/s and i can't really comment on l&d.  post partum was ok, very crowded (they screwed up my private room request), didn't let dh stay the night, and i really didn't like any of the baby nurses (my nurses were great).

all that being said, a good friend delivered twins at nyu last november and she said things had changed for the better.  they have made efforts to get a 'baby friendly' stamp of approval and now there is 1 nurse for mom and baby, they encourage rooming in and allow partners to stay the night. 

• Options
    oh, and my ob uses nyu, so i will be going there to deliver this bebe as well ... i'll just be a little more prepared.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks. That's really helpful - the website did say it had been renovated recently.  It's so close to our apt. that I'd really like to use them.  Btw, who is your OB? I'm still looking for one...
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    I delivered at NYU last month and had an overall positive experience.  They are focused on having the family comfortable and ensuring baby and mom are always together. Nurses were helpful and friendly. My husband was able to stay overnight as well.  The only unfortunate experience I had was 30 mins post birth, someone from the billing dept came to the room (where I delivered) and told me I have a bill to pay at that time.  My husband was very put off by that.  
  • Options

I delivered at NYU last July.  The rooms are small and outdated but that didn't bother me.  The RN's were AWESOME, both in labor and delivery and post-partum.  I can't say enough about the quality of their care.  They helped with everything and made my brief stay there enjoyable.

There were no private rooms available when I was there so I shared a room.  However, I got into my room around 11:30 at night and my roommate checked out at 11am the next morning.  I didn't get another rommate until LATE that night (after all of my guests and husband had left).  Then I left the next day so sharing a room was not an issue at all for me.

My husband did not sleep in the room with me but I didn't want him to (even if I had a private room).  I had to share the bathroom and the shower was in the hallway.  That didn't bother me either.  I had my sister help me in the shower.

I used downtown women OBGYN.  It's an awesome practice, I highly recommend!

• Options

I had my baby at NYU last month and I had a mixed experience. My room was tiny and I was told that it was one of the "larger" rooms. It was so small my husband did not stay with me (although he could have) because it would not have given me any space to move around. The nurses were great. I had the same experience with the "billing person" asking for money right away. My husband was extremely upset about that and sent her packing until I had rested. I also go to downtown women so I have didn't have a choice. My sisters delivered in Queens- NY Hospital of Queens and it was much better. 

Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"