2nd Trimester

20 week appointment?

I am the kind of person who likes to be prepared. I have a specific birth plan I am working on, already thinking of baby nursery for boy or girl, etc.

However, I don't want to overwhelm my Dr. either.

Question: What questions should I ask my Dr. at my 20 week appointment? Should I start talking about my birth plan then? Or wait? And what questions did you find you wanted answers to at your 20 week or plan on asking at yours?

I am a little lost as to what I should be asking.

Thank you in advance as I could really use your help!

EDIT: Hey guys, my 20 week appt. is with Dr. I don't go to the u/s tech until the following week its just a general appt. But I realize I am at the half way point and want to make sure I am ready for birth and that my Dr. and I are on the same page.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 20 week appointment?

• My 20 week appointment was the anatomy scan, so it wasn't with my Dr. but instead with the ultrasound tech and a Dr. I will probably never see again.

I didn't ask any questions at this appointment except for one in reaction to the ultrasound. 

Just ask whatever you feel you need to know. I haven't asked a ton of questions because I honestly just don't have any. I read a lot, do a lot of research on my own and have found a lot of the answers I needed on my own. 

Maybe you could make a list as your questions come up in your head, since you like to be prepared. Bring the questions with you and ask away. There is no "right or wrong" here, just do what you feel is natural to you.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had my 20 week appt. two days after my a/s.  We just went over the results, and since I was being sent for a Level II u/s, I was only concerned with that.  When you schedule your 24-week appt, maybe ask for an extra fifteen minutes so that you can discuss your questions.
    Married 08.19.06 ~ DS 9.30.11 ~ Baby #2 EDD 11.28.18

• Loading the player...
  • Maybe I'm not fully understanding the question, but I'm not sure why you think the 20 week appt. is so much different than any other.  Most anatomy scans are typically done around this time, which may or may not even be done at your Dr.'s office, but other than that I don't think there's anything different about this particular appt.

I guess it's never too early to start talking to your Dr. about your wishes, but just keep in mind that a birth plan is just a "plan" and that things rarely ever go exactly as you'd like them to.  If you don't already know, I would find out what the chances are of your own Dr. even delivering the baby.  Most practices have a rotating on-call schedule and you'll end up with whatever Dr. is on-call the day you deliver.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• I let my OB lead the appt.  She has a specific time line that she follows to make sure she asks all the necessary questions.  We began talking about my birth plan somewhere around 30 weeks with my last pregnancy.

I usually have one or two questions about how I am feeling, medication, that kind of thing but sometimes I really don't have anything to ask her and the appt. is 5 min. long.

• imageislandgirl79:

I let my OB lead the appt.  She has a specific time line that she follows to make sure she asks all the necessary questions.  We began talking about my birth plan somewhere around 30 weeks with my last pregnancy.

I usually have one or two questions about how I am feeling, medication, that kind of thing but sometimes I really don't have anything to ask her and the appt. is 5 min. long.

This is how my appointments go as well. You can always give your dr a copy of your birth plan for your file, if you have it ready already but it is kinda early and most drs dont start talking about that until at least 30 weeks (with my first it was 36 weeks). Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with planning but I wouldn't make a very detailed birth plan, as things often change during labor. Otherwise, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone. I appreciate your advice. This is my first baby, and my mom isn't involved and am new to area so don't have a lot of friends ( moving this week!) so I am kind of lost on how things are supposed to go. These boards have been a life saver for me. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"