Health & Exercise
Options

Running - a mind game?

I decided today (as I am training for my first 5K) that for me, running is a total mind game.  My mind begins yelling "Stop, you need to stop!" after about 90 seconds of running but my body is totally fine.  In fact, I ran the required C25K intervals today with no problem and actually felt like I could have run more.  Will my mind and my body ever get on the same page?

Re: Running - a mind game?

• Options
    I have the same issue.  Whether I run on the treadmill or outside, I have to mentally get past those first 90 seconds (it's about that length with me too).  Once I cross that, I am totally fine with running, mentally and physically.  So weird. 
    image. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I have the opposite problem with distance running.  I get to the end of a marathon, and my body is screaming stop, and my mind has to be stronger and make myself move forward.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It will. Your threshold will move... but IMO that mind game will always be there. Motivation (AKA rewards) is key!
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Options
    It used to be that way for me until I discovered that I was going too fast. Try slowing your pace a bit. It will be much easier to maintain and you'll get faster over time.
    natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagevirginiagirl11:
    It used to be that way for me until I discovered that I was going too fast. Try slowing your pace a bit. It will be much easier to maintain and you'll get faster over time.

I agree with this - when I first started running, I bought a watch with a heart rate monitor so that I could learn to pace myself. Otherwise, I went too fast and was out of breath and exhausted too quickly! 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, absolutely! When I started running, the mind games were the hardest part. And some days, they still get to me and I convince myself that I'm too tired or don't feel well. I try to tell myself just to suck it up, or if I'm on the treadmill, that I can stop after X number of songs. Those first few minutes are the hardest.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebuffyanne02:

If I'm outside, I play the "okay, to the end of that driveway on the next block!" game. Once I get to the driveway, I tell myself to make it to the light post the next block up, and so on.

On the TM, I do the same thing, but with songs. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

This! Mailboxes and fire hydrants for me. I count them or do the song thing.

• Options
    I started C25K too but haven't stuck with it very well. I just ran today for a mile and you are totally right. Except my body wants to stop but I just put it out of my mind and keep pushing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yup, it's about 3 mins for me. Running in a race helps a lot too, you get motivated and just want to keep running! GL!
    Mrs. 5/03*DD 2/07*DS1 5/09*DS2 7/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"