Alabama Babies
Options

Move to Alabama in Third Trimester!

Hi ladies!  My husband might be taking a job in Alabama (Birmingham area) very shortly.

I have looked at the university's hospitals online and it seems comperable to what we have here (University of Pittsburgh).  I am technically "high risk" as I had a preventative cerclage placed around 14 weeks and have multiple sclerosis.

I have just heard horror stories about people who have had to switch docs halfway through pregnancy and we LOOOOOVE our doctor now, but such is life!  :)

Any doctor/hospital recommendations?  TIA!

(I am really really excited if I get to move to Alabama!  DH just got back and he loves it there!  sans the heat lol)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Move to Alabama in Third Trimester!

• Options

Welcome and congrats!! I'm in North Alabama so I don't have any advise about doctors but there are plenty of ladies here in that area that can help!

Keep us posted if you move!!

Erin~N~Gregg 6/30/07 Project 365 imageCafeMom Tickers
  • Options

Hi,

I'm in Birmingham and I see Dr. David Damrich @ Birmingham OB/GYN at St. Vincent's (Birmingham campus). There are several ladies here that see different doctors there. www.birminghamobgyn.com.  I loved the practice and my experience delivering at the hospital.

I think there's quite a few ladies here that see OB's at Brookwood and UAB I think.  Hopefully they will chime in w/ recs!

Good luck.  High of 95 today, 97 tomorrow!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome!  I had my first baby 8 months ago at UAB's new Women's and Infant Center.  I see Dr. Kimberly Hoover at UAB's Kirklin Clinic.  I loved my experience there and Dr. Hoover is great.
    image imageimagePhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Welcome and CONGRATS! Birmingham is a great area!

I've heard University Hospital is great with high risk stuff and have great neonatal docs, but I have no experience with them.

I'm delivering at Brookwood, and I love it there. I'll PM you my OB practice info, but I'll tell you here that I *adore* them. I know several people who have had high risk pregnancies that see the doctors in my practice, and ALL of them had great experiences and great outcomes. Not to mention, three of the doctors were given superlatives (and they were runners-up in each others' categories as well) in Birmingham Parent magazine's most recent Parent Choice Awards.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hi there!

I just had my son 5 months ago at St. Vincent's hospital in Birmingham, and had a great experience. The nurses were fantastic and I couldn't have been happier with them. I hoped for a med free birth, and while that didn't work out, my nurse when I checked in did everything possible to support my wishes. She put me in a HUGE room, gave me a birth ball, and was very supportive while also giving us space. She helped me so I was able to labor without meds for the majority of my labor. (I just ended up needing pitocin in the last 3 hours due to a transverse baby.)

My OB was Dr. DeRosier at OBGYN Associates of Alabama. I love her!  I liked everyone at the practice, but was glad she ended up delivering DS since she was my primary OB GYN. I found her on a rec from a friend and was so glad I did.

I am bummed that if we have #2, we'll have moved by then and I won't be able to go back there. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Hi and welcome!

I have delivered both of my girls at St. Vincent's Birmingham.  Both times I can honestly say I had a fabulous experience!  My OB is Dan Hudson with Henderson & Walton. I know UAB has a new women's center, but honestly I don't know anyone who has delivered there so I can't say much about it.  All of my friends either use Brookwood or St. Vincent's.  

Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

• Options

Hi & Welcome to the board!  Nice to see another Yankee moving down South... I'm from Cleveland.  :)  Get ready for the heat!  lol

I personally would love to use the new UAB's Women & Infants Center for my OB and delivery, but our insurance doesn't work with them.  :(  So we're using Brookwood which is currently building a new women's center but it won't be ready until next year. 

That said, I love my OB through them... it's a Christian practice, OB Gyn South.  They have several of the top-rated OB's in the area there and I've had a really good vibe from them so far.  They have a website, obgynsouth.com, if you want to check them out... they're also on Facebook.  Good luck with your potential move!

• Options
    imageSunshine05:

Hi & Welcome to the board!  Nice to see another Yankee moving down South... I'm from Cleveland.  :)  Get ready for the heat!  lol

I personally would love to use the new UAB's Women & Infants Center for my OB and delivery, but our insurance doesn't work with them.  :(  So we're using Brookwood which is currently building a new women's center but it won't be ready until next year. 

That said, I love my OB through them... it's a Christian practice, OB Gyn South.  They have several of the top-rated OB's in the area there and I've had a really good vibe from them so far.  They have a website, obgynsouth.com, if you want to check them out... they're also on Facebook.  Good luck with your potential move!

Sunshine -- YGPM!

• Options
    imageMrsAO:

Hi,

I'm in Birmingham and I see Dr. David Damrich @ Birmingham OB/GYN at St. Vincent's (Birmingham campus). There are several ladies here that see different doctors there. www.birminghamobgyn.com.  I loved the practice and my experience delivering at the hospital.

I think there's quite a few ladies here that see OB's at Brookwood and UAB I think.  Hopefully they will chime in w/ recs!

Good luck.  High of 95 today, 97 tomorrow!!

I second Birmingham OB/GYN.  I see Dr. Davis and Dr. Estes when Dr. Davis is in delivery.  They have been wonderful and on top of things. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia a few weeks ago.  Davis is starting weekly growth ultrasounds week 35 and has begun discussing options to try to deliver naturally or when we would look at doing a c-sec.  She's very patient and never rushes.

I've heard mixed things about Eastern OB/GYN and wouldn't recommend them.  I felt like cattle going through there for a gyno appointment and have a girlfriend who swapped to them for her second child's birth and had a horrible experience. 

As for St. Vincent's, my husband has worked for them for over 10 years.  They have excellent equipment and staff and single suites.  Everyone I know who has delivered there has nothing but good things to say.  

Best of luck with your move.   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Welcome to the board!  Birmingham really is a great city.  But the heat and humidity makes it feel like a sauna in the summer...lol

I also use St. Vincent's (since I work for them).....but for high risk pregnancies UAB is a wonderful choice.  Anyone from the surrounding hospitals that begin to have serious complications with pregnancy usually get referred to their clinic!  

Wishing you guys best of luck on your move! 

• Options
    Thanks ladies!  I definitely feel prepared to make a decision!  I am really really excited about the move....although it's going to be an INSANE next few weeks.  We aren't exactly sure where we are going to live/rent/buy as of yet - and it's a little intimidating trying to do all the choosing before we get there. 
  • Options

imageCaitlin224:
    Thanks ladies!  I definitely feel prepared to make a decision!  I am really really excited about the move....although it's going to be an INSANE next few weeks.  We aren't exactly sure where we are going to live/rent/buy as of yet - and it's a little intimidating trying to do all the choosing before we get there. 

Let us know if there is anything we can help with! H and I will probably be relocated further south sometime before/around my EDD, and I can TOTALLY relate with how nervewracking it is -- I can't imagine moving several states away!

• Options

imageCaitlin224:

Let us now if we can help telling you about different areas.:) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagestarsmaycollide:

imageCaitlin224:

Let us now if we can help telling you about different areas.:) 

Ditto!  My husband and I moved down here about 4 1/2 years ago from Cleveland and used a free apartment finder service to take us around and check out different places near where we'd be working.  I worked with M.elissa M.orris from A.partments A.venue (https://www.apartmentsavenue.com/find_apartment.asp) since we weren't familiar with the area.  Moving here from the North was a big stress, so if there's anything we can help with, let us know!

• Options

I would LOOOOVE some guidance on choosing an area to live!!!!

DH's work would be in Adger (south of Birmingham, just west of Bessemer?).  We found out today that we will be down in the area Sunday through Wednesday to look at properties and get acquainted. 

I am currently looking at apartments/condos and have NO idea about nice areas and such!  Also no idea about traffic.  Where we are now, traffic can easily change a 10 minute drive into a major commute.

• Options
    imageCaitlin224:

I would LOOOOVE some guidance on choosing an area to live!!!!

DH's work would be in Adger (south of Birmingham, just west of Bessemer?).  We found out today that we will be down in the area Sunday through Wednesday to look at properties and get acquainted. 

I am currently looking at apartments/condos and have NO idea about nice areas and such!  Also no idea about traffic.  Where we are now, traffic can easily change a 10 minute drive into a major commute.

We live in the Bessemer/McCalla area and love where we live.  It's really been built up over the past few years since we moved.  Lots of shopping, restaurants, gas stations, banks, post office, etc. all close and accessible.  And not far from downtown when we need to go there for something (I work there, and commute is about 30 mins). 

If your DH is working in Adger, it's a little more country/rural out that way so commute wouldn't be an issue if you looked into the Hueytown or Bessemer/McCalla areas.  Personally, I would recommend Bessemer/McCalla since I think their schools (McAdory) are better than Hueytown's, but not bad either way. Bessemer is a HUGE city and there are very bad parts and very good parts.  If you stay closer to the McCalla side you should be fine. 

Also don't be too alarmed but the tornadoes did go through close to Adger so there may still be damage and lots of trees down, etc.  That area of town seems to get hit more than ours with storms, which is another reason to check out our side.  Let me know if you have specific questions, either page me here or send me a PM if you want specific help and don't want to post it.  Good luck this weekend!  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"