Upstate NY Babies

* batty * (re: sleep issues)

I remembered you posting about your DD fighting sleep - how old was she and how did it turn out?

My DD is 20 months and suddenly her 10pm bedtime is like after 11, and I am so exhausted and so frustrated!  I don't know if it is a phase, or a fluke, but it has been 3 days in a row now and I am going to lose my mind..

If anyone else has suggestions/thoughts..please share!  I'm desperate!

Re: * batty * (re: sleep issues)

• How do you put her to bed? Leah is almost your DD's age and we go up and read books and they run around for a while. Then we put them in. Sometimes they talk for a while or toss and turn...but we just keep an eye on them over the monitor and never go back in. Is she not in a crib anymore? So sorry you are having issues - being tired is so rough!

Is there a reason their bedtimes are so late? Ours go to bed late too - like 9:30...but they also sleep until 9:30am. Does your DD sleep for like 12hrs or so as night? If she is getting up earlier maybe she needs an earlier bedtime? I have noticed that my kids have a window - if we miss it they get a second wind and it seems like they could stay up for HOURS past their bedtime.

• You girls might want to pick up Ferber's book, there are lots of chapters about dealing with sleep problems in older children, it's not just about babies. It helped us with Rosie's bedtime problems- we were putting her down too early and had unrealistic expectations of how much she should be sleeping. We adjusted some nap stuff (when she takes naps), and her bedtime, and we haven't had a huge meltdown from her in almost a week.
  • Loading the player...
  • or you could pick up healthy sleep habits, happy child....I liked this book a lot and it helped me with Ls sleep...

and I have the same question as Telyco- why 10:30?- so maybe its her second wind...Enzo is 17 months he goes down at 8:00 and gets up around 7:00...

I know when we were playing with sleep times it was hard because of Dhs work schedule (I know your DH works a lot too)- but I just told him to get a grip- if he wanted to see L before bed he had to get home before his bed time- it wasnt worth the crazy days for me to keep him up - if he couldnt get home...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She's 23mos and it's been going on for a few weeks now. Bedtime is hit or miss...its really naptime thats giving us issues. And I think like Telyco said, her nap window is so small that I think I miss it a lot. The problem is that she shows me no signs of being tired so she goes from fine to overtired in a snap and then naptime is a no go.  Like the other day I was rockign her before nap and she literally was rolling her eyes around ready to pass out. So I put her in her crib and she sits up and starts bouncing around like crazy-end result...no nap. If she doesnt nap, bedtime is a breeze b/c she just passes out from exhaustion. If she naps sometimes its more challenging to get her to sleep and she'll talk/play for a very long time in her crib.  Her routine is bath (if needed), pjs, books, put on sleep sack, then rock and sing songs. Someone suggested on another board that it may be her 2yr molars doing this to her but I really dont know. She has 1 in already, but not the other 3 so I guess you never know!!  I've been looking through HSHHC and trying to do a slightly earlier bedtime but that also depends on how late she naps!
  • imagebattybtags:
    She's 23mos and it's been going on for a few weeks now. Bedtime is hit or miss...its really naptime thats giving us issues. And I think like Telyco said, her nap window is so small that I think I miss it a lot. The problem is that she shows me no signs of being tired so she goes from fine to overtired in a snap and then naptime is a no go.  Like the other day I was rockign her before nap and she literally was rolling her eyes around ready to pass out. So I put her in her crib and she sits up and starts bouncing around like crazy-end result...no nap. If she doesnt nap, bedtime is a breeze b/c she just passes out from exhaustion. If she naps sometimes its more challenging to get her to sleep and she'll talk/play for a very long time in her crib.  Her routine is bath (if needed), pjs, books, put on sleep sack, then rock and sing songs. Someone suggested on another board that it may be her 2yr molars doing this to her but I really dont know. She has 1 in already, but not the other 3 so I guess you never know!!  I've been looking through HSHHC and trying to do a slightly earlier bedtime but that also depends on how late she naps!

I wonder if instead of waiting until she shows signs she's tired, if you just stuck to a schedule for nap instead.  If you find one day it's easier for her to go down, make that her naptime.  Gavin knows that we eat lunch and then he takes a nap...so everyday somewhere between 12 and 12:30 he goes in to bed (depending on how long he takes to eat lunch).

• We are going through this with Brianna right now too.  I know it is nap related, she is going down for her nap too late, but I can't change it because she needs to fall asleep when we need to leave to take Ty to school.  I have to pick up Ferbers book.  I thought Healthy Sleep Habits was a good book, but Ty's Dev Pedi said to go with Ferber's newest book.  This Dev Pedi really knows his stuff, he is where reg pedis send kids with problems that they can't solve, and the office deals with sleep disorders amung other things.  So I take his recommendation of Ferber over my reg pedi's suggestion of HSHHB.

And I am SO jelious of anyone whos kids sleep 12 hours!  Mine sleep 9-10 hrs on a good night, and this is a huge improvement for Ty.  B used to sleeep more, but the nap thing is throwing her off.

• imageJenJar:

imagebattybtags:
    She's 23mos and it's been going on for a few weeks now. Bedtime is hit or miss...its really naptime thats giving us issues. And I think like Telyco said, her nap window is so small that I think I miss it a lot. The problem is that she shows me no signs of being tired so she goes from fine to overtired in a snap and then naptime is a no go.  Like the other day I was rockign her before nap and she literally was rolling her eyes around ready to pass out. So I put her in her crib and she sits up and starts bouncing around like crazy-end result...no nap. If she doesnt nap, bedtime is a breeze b/c she just passes out from exhaustion. If she naps sometimes its more challenging to get her to sleep and she'll talk/play for a very long time in her crib.  Her routine is bath (if needed), pjs, books, put on sleep sack, then rock and sing songs. Someone suggested on another board that it may be her 2yr molars doing this to her but I really dont know. She has 1 in already, but not the other 3 so I guess you never know!!  I've been looking through HSHHC and trying to do a slightly earlier bedtime but that also depends on how late she naps!

I wonder if instead of waiting until she shows signs she's tired, if you just stuck to a schedule for nap instead.  If you find one day it's easier for her to go down, make that her naptime.  Gavin knows that we eat lunch and then he takes a nap...so everyday somewhere between 12 and 12:30 he goes in to bed (depending on how long he takes to eat lunch).

We do have a schedule-she eats lunch around 1145/12ish then right to her nap-its been this way over a year now. She was going down very easily around 1245/1ish so thats what we've stuck to but now its been a struggle.  I actually got her to nap today (YAY!) by spending a longer time "soothing" her-took me a half hour, but she passed out in my arms

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"