Boston Babies

Tell Me about life in Boston

I was raised in Boston until I was 15. I lived in Somerville and Hyde Park.

I live in GA now but I am seriousy considering moving back but I dont even know where to start!  A job, somewhere to live, increase in expenses, schools, daycares, gyms, etc!!

A lot of my family still lives in Somerville, Cambridge, Quincy and Norwood...including, the most important, my mom!!!

Do you have any advice?

What city is the safest, best schools, cost of living, nicest areas, things to do, etc..

What do you like/not like about living in MA?

If you care to share, what is your average cost of living (house, apt, car insurance, etc)?  That is something that I am majorly concerned with.

Just tell me anything really!! 

Thanks in advance!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tell Me about life in Boston

• Hey there hard to answer your questions with specifics as there is a great variety by city/town.  I live in Boston proper, and my family and friends are scattered North, South and West of the city.

Best schools tend to be in wealthier towns including Lincoln/Sudbury, Dover/Sherborn, Newton, Weston, etc. There are many good schools in other towns as well. In the city, there are charter schools and of course Boston Latin, and both suburban and urban private schools are also an option.

Your cost of living would vary tremendously depending on where you live and what you decide to do about schooling, etc. For example, I save a lot because we don't own any cars living downtown.  We also don't pay commuting expenses. Boston has good public transportation including commuter rails from the suburbs but it is not cheap.

The weather here can be a drag because winter is long but culture is generally pretty great.  You have 4 major league sports teams, a significant performing arts culture and many museums. There are fantastic day/weekend trips that are easily accessible and obviously Logan airport is great access to just about anywhere you'd want to go. Also even in winter there is a lot to do outdoors - Alpine and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, iceskating, snowshoeing, etc.

Also, while not as diverse as say NYC - Boston does have significant diversity which I consider to be a plus. My childbirthing class included 2 mixed couples (including us), 1 black couple, 1 lesbian couple, and a number of white couples - though even within those couples some diversity with not all being from the US.

I guess my only other 2 cents on this is that if I weren't living in the city I think the first suburb I would look at is Hingham. I love that you can take the commuter boat from there to Boston to get to work! Also, it is quite a sizeable town with good shopping, etc.

• Thank you sooo much for taking the time to respond!
  • Loading the player...
  • it really depends on where you want to live and how far away from the city. I live in Raynham which is about 30mins from the city, but everything is alot less money. We have a yard for our kids to play in, property taxes are much less as well as the cost of everyday things like gas. (its almost 30 cents less then in Boston). MH and I like the quietness of the suburbs, but we are still close enough to the city to go on a day trip. Also our schools are really good as well.
  • I hate MA.

Everything is over priced, congested, people are rude, all the buildings are old and decrepit. It's cold as fvck in the winter and hotter than h3ll in the summer.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"